Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, we installed a SS chimney (ridid) liner in our exsisting chimney. We then poured pea gravel around the pipe for stability. We, it seems that the pipe has come loose a little, in the one place we could not secure it with screws, of course. Is there a way to fix it without having to take it all apart? I would have no idea how we would do that with the gravel. At this point, wood is our only heat.
Do you think a slightly smaller diamiter of the felxable hose would work? we only need it in the elbow inside the chimney where the long pipe connects to the pipe that goes to the stove.

Where could we get a 2' section of flexable pipe? Our pipe is 6" so we would need something smaller. I have seen 5" and 5.5" in the flexable, but only 20' lengths.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
Can you get to the elbow from the side of the chimney where the long pipe that goes to the stove connects?
Looks like the pea gravel wasn't such a good idea after all. If you unhook the elbow from the SS pipe, perhaps with a hammer and a length of rod, can you pull and spin the SS pipe up out of the chimney? You'll have to scoop out the gravel from the opening as the pipe goes up. Seems like if you can get the pipe up a bit the pea gravel will drain to the opening as you scoop it out.
If you insert a 2 foot section of flex pipe into the bottom part of the SS pipe, where will the cresote from the larger pipe drip? I'm afraid you'd end up with a cresote mess on both sides of the flex pipe and all around the elbow area. Not a good place for a chimney fire.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sorry to say I think you're going to have to take it all apart and re-do the job. I've never heard of pea gravel used like that before, was that just an idea you came up with? I'd say either use nothing around the liner or use a proper insulating blanket to insulate it.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is no way to get to the elbow without removing all the pea gravel. If we could keep the pipe together, it would work great. Great draw and everything. Sounds like an engine when it first starts off.

In hind sight, my dh said he sould have poured concrete in with the pea gravel under the elbow to form a solid serface for the elbow to sit on. But he was in a hurry to get it done.

Our next best option to just fixing the elbow, would be to run a peice of 5.5 flex liner fron the thimble to the top of the chimney, right? That would eleviate all issues.

oh, the reason for the pea gravel, is to stabalize the ss liner. It was suggested by the mason that helped us. he has done this in the past, and with a house he owns near us.

thanks for your sugestions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts