chimney problem/ question...Help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

ok, here it goes, we have a chimney (that we have never used). We have lived here about 10 years but recently (or maybe we just noticed it) it has been leaking. It is a straight up chimney made from the square cinderblock looking stuff ( I do know that it is not actual cinderblocks but i dont know what it is called) with the terra cotta fire block inside of that. It appears to be leaking around the outside but not from the roof. My hubby says that it appears that the block stuff is absorbing the rain and it is coming through inside...and here is the delima...because that sounded like crap to me. He thinks that the outside of this block stuff should be sealed so that the rain/snow cannot absorb into it...i said that sounds wrong...
    does anyone have any idea about this??? There is no water inside the chimney...just running down the outside(on the inside of the house) ....
    If you need more info, please let me know....
    thanks

Belinda

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Theory #1. There is supposed to be metal flashing that surrounds the chimney block and goes under your roof shingles. Perhaps the flashing has rusted through or has become unattached to the chimney block.

Theory #2. Because the chimney block is cold where it goes through your attic, moisture may be condensing on the block. Once enough moisture has collected it will run down the edges of the chimney and into the house.

Questions: Does the leak appear when it is raining or snowing out only or does it also leak when there is no outdoor precipitation? How big of a leak are we talking about here?

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

It could be sweating but you wouldn't notice much water,it would just be damp.

Your Flashing should come up a few inches on the Block,and sealed with Roof Tar,if everything is sealed good and you have a Rain Cap.Everything should be fine.

big rockpile

4. Mrs_stuart

This chimney has been in a closet and we have not really notice the leak before...We got a new wood heater and we moved the old ben franklin down to this room and he starting tearing out the closet and has just found this. From the looks of it, it has only been doing this for a while. We have never has a "cap" on it, we have a piece of tin over it(weighted down). I think hubby is going to go up and check out the metal flashing and the roof tar. ( I really think they are fine) I think the water is leaking in around the tin. We have so much rain this year...and it has been a different sort...Thing running differently... The porch is developing a problem too that we have not experienced before. It is only 3 years only. (it is a metal porch that was attached to the house) But we are gonna measure and get a "real" cap for it too. I am hoping this will work so we can get some heat out there too. Thanks everyone!!!!

Belinda

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Ill bet the roofing tar has cracked.Happens every so often.If so 100 percent silicon clear caulking will work fine for sealing it up.(only way i have seen the tar sold was by the bucket.) Blocks can soak up moisture but they usually don't wick it into the house.

If your plaining on using the chimney try shining a light up the chimney from the inside, while hubby looks down it to inspect the clay liner for cracks.Since he will be on the roof anyway!

6. Mrs_stuart

Thanks insanity,
    I will surely do that...
    Thanks for the clear caulk info too that might be just what we need.

Belinda