Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cactus Farmer/Cat Rancher
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a house, a very run down house but one with a well and septic :) No more hauling water :) Anyway, I was thinking of perhaps putting in a chimney in the kitchen for my wood cook stove. I had an idea to use single walled stove pipe encased in field stone. The chimney would run on the outside of the house. Would conventional cement suffice as mortar or am I inviting disaster? Besides hopefully being cheaper I like the looks of field stone chimneys.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
A single walled clay tile instead of a single walled steel stove pipe would work just fine.
Cement and sand makes mortar. Cement and gravel/sand makes concrete. Morter is just fine for a field stone chimney.
Be sure to lay a huge footing because a field stone chimney will be heavy. It needs to be secured to the house, too.

·
Cactus Farmer/Cat Rancher
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A single walled clay tile instead of a single walled steel stove pipe would work just fine.
Cement and sand makes mortar. Cement and gravel/sand makes concrete. Morter is just fine for a field stone chimney.
Be sure to lay a huge footing because a field stone chimney will be heavy. It needs to be secured to the house, too.
In my experience steel pipe is easier to clean out than clay title. But ultimately for me it boils down to the all mighty buck, the cheaper the better. I 'spose mortar would cling better to clay tile. Also what do you think would be the best way to secure the chimney to the house?

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Also what do you think would be the best way to secure the chimney to the house?
Wall ties
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&safe=off&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=masonry+stone++wall+ties&aq=f&oq=[/ame]

Also, if you use stove pipe , it will rust out in a couple of years and be a HUGE mess.
Clay tiles are pretty much forever

1 - 5 of 5 Posts