Chimney Cleaning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Country Lady, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Country Lady

    Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    3,842
    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2003
    Location:
    MS
    I read on another forum to sprinkle a tablespoon of Trisodium Phosphate in a fire once a week will help keep your chimney clean. Can anyone say this will work? Do you do your own chimney cleaning and how do you do it? We paid $85 to have ours cleaned before this winter. This is the first time in four years we've had it cleaned, but we haven't used it much before this year. However, this winter we're using the fireplace non stop during cold temperatures, so I'm wondering about trying the Trisodium Phosphate trick. The poster said it could be bought at your local hardware store. BTW, the propane truck filled our tank today and I was pleasantly surprised. Using the fireplace really helped, even though the theory is most of your heat goes up the chimney.
     
  2. uncle Will in In.

    uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    7,154
    Joined:
    May 11, 2002
    A fireplace puts up smoke hot enough to not create much creosote. When smoke is cooled to much as it goes up the flue it causes the creosote to condense and stick on the walls of the flue. Having hot smoke reduces the problem dramaticly.
     

  3. MELOC

    MELOC Master Of My Domain

    Messages:
    7,220
    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2005
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    i think that stuff would help even though i have never used it. i would also be sure to have a real hot fire from time to time, on a regular basis, to keep the creosote burned away and not give it a chance to build up to a point where it causes problems.

    i wonder if that chemical additive has any ill effects to masonry?
     
  4. MELOC

    MELOC Master Of My Domain

    Messages:
    7,220
    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2005
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    do you use a fireplace insert stove or just the fireplace? i would recommend getting an insert if you do not have one. i used to cook on mine from time to time.
     
  5. bare

    bare Head Muderator

    Messages:
    1,857
    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    No chemical additive will rival a good physical scrubbing. Chimney cleaning brushes are relatively cheap and last forever if you take care of them. However, for the 85 bucks a year, you get someone else to risk their life to climb up on your roof, plus their experienced eye looking for problems with the structure itself. Money well spent in my book.

    Tri Sodium Phosphate is available at most hardware stores, it's marketed as TSP, a common cleaning solution. I can't attest to it's usefulness for removing creosote.
     
  6. sisterpine

    sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

    Messages:
    7,273
    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    Location:
    Zone 8a, AZ
    85 bucks is not too bad for getting the job done. our roof is steel at an 8/12 pitch and the chimney sticks up 10 feet above the surface of the roof so no one in their right mind would want that job. We go up every couple of years and take the chimney -triple wall chrome stuff- apart and give it a good cleaning. our wood stove is NON catylatic so we are able to burn good hot fires as needed and do also use the chimney cleaning logs we buy at ace hardware. i wonder about the catalytic type wood stoves that just burn really low and slow all the time?
     
  7. michiganfarmer

    michiganfarmer Max Supporter

    Messages:
    6,615
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Location:
    Near Traverse City Michigan
    I dontknow anything about catalytic stoves, but My dad has a Yukon wood furnace. His house is very well insulated, and the furnace is very efficient. He has to burn his furnace very slow all the time or it will be 90 in the house. He has black liquid running out of his chimney all the time, and he takes a 5 gallon bucket of creosote out of the chimney with a chimney brush every 3 weeks. his chimney goes from the basement up through 2 stories, and sticks up abouve the roof about 3 feet. He has a terrible time with smoke backing up in the basement. I keep telling him he has to open the furnace up and let it burn, but I know he cant without opening the windows or he will get cooked right out of the house.
     
  8. sisterpine

    sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

    Messages:
    7,273
    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    Location:
    Zone 8a, AZ
    i know what you mean, my neighbors chimney must be almost plugged by now since they never have a really hot fire. we have a big hot fire every week and just open the windows and aire out the house at the same time we are cleaning the flue and chimney!