Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We are on our annual "hunting for the farm" pilgramige(sp?) and we are stationed atop lovely Kentucky with some great friends in Louisville. This is our last trip like this, and we are not leaving until we find our spot. We have an appointment to see a couple places in Casey County on Weds., very excited....

We are hoping we can get some chimming in on areas a good homesteader could do well in... So we want to hear the goods and bads of the areas and cities you live around or know of. We really have no city/job requirements for our move, but carry only the stipulation of an area with abundance of springs or good well water, and rolling hills for scenery, but will take all opinions.

Any one have any thoughts?

This site is so cool.

Peace love and wish us luck...

We're tired of town.

Nat & Jop

·
Registered
274 Posts
Casey County is beautiful and certainly should meet your requirements for springs and rolling hills. There is an amish community there. I know a few people who have their homesteads there and love it. There is a great amish store there called Nolt's that is not to be missed when you visit. It is off of a windy road but anyone in town should be able to give you directions. I would move there in a heartbeat. My future 'stead is a couple of counties over and I long to be on it! I remember my search, found my piece of heaven on the internet right in the middle of KY. I love it! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, we moved here to Harrison County from New Hampshire back 10 years ago. We found here by pointing to a map of the USA on a snowy NH morning, and here we are! We have a wonderful spring and lots of hills. Love it here. We are 1/2 way between Cincinnati and Lexington for the availability of jobs and the hopes that one of the cities or the other will grow to the point of increasing our property value before we decide to relocate in the future. Come on by if you are interested!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
We love Metcalfe County. Check out Estes Realty here in Edmonton, KY - they might have the peice of property you're looking ofr!! Good luck in your search! As soon as we walked on our 46 acres - we knew we were home. It didn't have anything but an old tobacco barn on it but we knew this was where we wanted to be!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Another Metcalfe countian here!

Estes Realty is good--- also Metcalfe Realty and Auction has some nice properties and they are on the "web"
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
i wish you luck, i live in Ky but i live in western Ky, which is quite a ways from Louisville, KY is gorgeous and everyone is so friendly here. I hope you find that perfect place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's another for Metcalfe county! Beautiful rolling hills, forests and lots of creeks and springs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My neighbors have their property up for sale. It would be an extremely nice homestead with a little love. It does not have city/county water as it is almost a mile from the main road but does have two wells I'm pretty sure or you could have water trucked in if you had to have city water. Very secluded and private with access to miles of riding trails if you're so inclined :)
I wish like heck I could afford it but it would sure be awesome to have some fellow 'steaders as neighbors!
Link is:http://www.centralkyrealty.com/homes_with_acreage.htm
MLS #: M-5749

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I've been in Kentucky for 8 years now (near Casey County in fact) and the one thing I would particularly mention is that this is not a "typical" year here. It has been very dry, most areas are designated as having moderate or severe drought.

This means that springs that would normally be active are not ... ponds are dry that normally would not be ... and also areas of pasture that would normally be wet-to-flooded are going to be dry now.

I know two people personally that bought acreage during the "dry season" and discovered that the lovely pasture with a little creek running through it ended up flooded during the "rainy season".

Our place is a "hill" ... we built halfway up the hill, which isn't bad but if I was doing it again, everything would be built on top of the hill. This is the first year that there weren't places on the side of the hill that there have not been "sidehill swamp" areas that stayed wet and boggy all year long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts