Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
That's a good idea. We originally were doing the ice in a big bucket and then the milk bucket in that.

Lately we've started putting ice in a ziplock sandwich bag and adding it right to the milk pail. That way, we only have one bucket. Then when we're done, we just throw the bag away. Gets and keeps the milk nice and cold since it's right in the bucket with it. On really hot days the ice in the bag is almost melted.....but the milk is still cold when we get back to the house. Then we put our mason jars directly in the freezer for a half an hour or so. Probably overkill, but I like it COLD! :cool:

Dee

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Do not bother with ice get some of the reuseable ice packs. I do that and also then put mine in the freezer.

Patty

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I made up a couple of quart jars of saturated salt solution yesterday to use today. I don't have a larger bucket to put the milk bucket in, so I was going to just use the jar with a tight lid right in the bucket.

The reusable ice packs are a good idea too. I have one made from foam, I put it in a ziplock and kept it right in the milk bucket. It worked GREAT. It has a hole in it I think I can repair so I'll keep it to use as well.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I use the ones with the blue liquid inside , no leaks .

Patty

·
Registered
887 Posts
I like the idea of the ice packs...the sport type freezer pack. How do you keep it clean and sanitized? That's the reason I went with the throw away zip locks. I had also heard of freezing water in a soda bottle. I wasn't sure how to keep that clean enough. Be cheaper, though.
Dee

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Another tip that may beat the heat is to have an ice chest next to the milkstand. In summertime, put a frozen jug of water in it and keep your milk in there. It will be signifigantly cooler in the ice chest than out of it and it is just someplace to put your milk while you finish up your milking. It's a great way to use leaky old ice chests. There are many hot days that the milk actually will WARM UP after it leaves the doe if I'm not careful.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My concern with putting somthing *in* the bucket I'm milking into is keeping it sanitary. The blue ice thingies I have aren't smooth enough on the outside surface for me to be comfortable that I've got them clean after each milking. Well, and it's another thing to wash.

With my ice slush, there's no extra clean up. :)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
No extra clean up ia good. But dont you have the bucket and the freezer container to take care of ?

i just wash the ice packs with my milk pan . I use a veggie brush to get around the nipples good on that so I use it on the ice packs also..

Patty

·
38,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just leave the freezer container on the top of the freezer, pour the salt solution back into it, stick it in the freezer. Leave the salt solution bucket there. No clean up at all! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
I don't like chilling my milk immediately, I like doing it after I strain it. It seems to go REALLY slow if I chill it first. I have two stockpots, one I use as a milking bucket and the other holds two baggies full of frozen water. I also have a 2 qt bucket with strainer. I milk, pour the milk through the strainer into the 2qt, and then into the stockpot with the frozen baggies. It works great. And, I can do my other chores and leave the milk in the milkroom for a bit and not worry about rushing it to the house. I used to milk into the separate stockpots and strain inside, and not even chill whatsoever... Then I realized maybe chilling it had an effect on taste (and my milk was rather disgusting in taste, hehe) and now I love the taste. :)

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I've saved all those refrigeration packs you get when you order vaccines etc. They say "nontoxic" on them, so I washed them and put them in new ziplocks right in the milk bucket. It's in the nineties daily lately, and the milk was at around 66 F by the time I got it in the house.

·
38,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG, I have a zillion of those back in Texas. They come with hubby's transplant meds. Didn't even think about it.

I do, however, use the heck out of the styrofoam coolers his meds are packed in! :) We get a new one every three months!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts