Chili powder/cyenne treatment??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BillyGoat, Apr 17, 2006.

1. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

I have read here before, that you can use chili powder or cyenne pepper powder to keep pest away.

I bought both and was going to mix them together.

Can you put it directly on the leaves, or do you only put it on the soil around the plants?? :shrug:

Thanks for any help. I have to get this done real soon, my mustard greens are being attacked.

So much to learn...so little time!!!! :help:

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I've only ever put in on the soil. Depending on what is eating your plants you may want to spred it around the edge of the garden as well as around the plants themselves. Just to give yourself that extra barrier.

You will find the Cayenne will work better than the chili powder.

3. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

4. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

We've used Cayenne pepper with good results. But, it doesn't work for all pests. We always sprinkled it onto the soil around the plant. Not on the plant itself. I've never heard of using chili powder.

Seems we have different problems from year to year. Some pests always come back such as the slugs and the dreaded tomato worms. I remember one year we sprayed with a "tea" made with chewing tobacco and water. That worked well that year.

Best of luck in your garden.

prairiegirl

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

one year one of my experiment natural pesticides was a habanero based spray. i boiled 1 hab, added a bit of soap, put it in a sprayer and sprayed a habanero plant. it became lustrously green but then lost all its leaves and died.

be careful with that stuff, it's a potent insecticide and you can easily overdo it.