Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be entering a chili cookoff contest this Saturday! Anyone ever done this? :stirpot:

I have my own favorite chili recipe, which I think is REALLY yummy and certainly contest-worthy...ok, actually it isn't a "recipe" but I just sort of wing it from my memory every time. I make it a little different according to who's going to be eating it and what I'm in the mood for. You know, sometimes I make it very spicy, sometimes only sort of spicy, sometimes Cincinnati style with cinnamon, or with beans/without, with/without macaroni or served over spaghetti, chunky or smooth!

This time I'll be making it smooth, not chunky (I've heard that contest judges don't like chunks of onions and peppers), no beans, moderately spicy.

The rules say it has to be prepared from scratch over a camp stove in the contest area between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. and we have to provide a list of ingredients (but not how much; good thing 'cause I measure in splashes, shakes and handfuls).

So yeah...I'm not asking for your prizewinning recipe or anything! Just what have you noticed judges tend to look for at these things?

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
What type of chili are the judges expecting? Texas, Cincinnati or Mexican? I would tailor it to the what the judges want. It would be very difficult to get good marks for a Cincinnati chili if the judges are used to the hot, spicy tomatoey taste of most chilis. In that case you can just send your Cincinnati chili to me. :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.