Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith is what I am listening to now..
on the new Zen player I got for Christmas. (my library paid into the NC Digital Library and I can download any audiobook with just my library card.. too cool!)

Child 44 is a terrifying read. Not just for it's story of a child killer, but for the setting of Stalinist Russia and the terror, paranoia and oppression of the people.
I just had no idea! They do not cover this in history in school. I find myself more swept away by the workings of the secret police and the bread lines and "for the greater good" than by the hunt for the killer.
Our hero is a disgraced secret police investigator who realizes a pattern of child murders across Russia and connected by the railway lines. He goes against the party line and begins to hunt for a man that he has no identity for. All the murders ahve been 'solved' by blaming them on the nearest unfortunate bastard and no connections are allowed to be made. In the geat Stalinist Russia 'there is no crime'.
Set against the stark lives and constant back glancing, our hero faces certain death if his investigation were to be found out, along with the arrests and deaths of his entire family and anyone who assists him.
I am not all the way through it yet, but I am gripped!
I just don't know how these people survived and am terrified of ever having to deal with such circumstances!
Highly Suggested!!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just don't know how these people survived and am terrified of ever having to deal with such circumstances!
Highly Suggested!!!!
Assuming you're in the U.S. I think we are light years away from having a system anywhere near the ones that existed behind the iron curtain.

Might want to check out "The Lives of Others", great movie that deals with the East German secret police spying on folks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts