chikens with sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by swollen tongue, Mar 27, 2006.

1. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

Would there be any problem having some chickens in the sheep area? I am thinking of any diseases, etc. that could be carried to the sheep.
    P.S. great forum

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Our birds free range (except when I'm planting seed in the garden)... they are our only insecticide (at least so far). Haven't had anything but positives (except when they scratched all my shallow seed out of the garden last year) with having them with the sheep and cattle. (Well, I have to play button button who has the button finding eggs everyday too lol)

Pat

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Sheep and chickens together can be very entertaining. My neighbors particularly enjoy watching the rooster and ram battle it out. If you can imagine the ram as a hornless bull and the rooster as a matador.

4. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

We've had sheep for 10 years but got chickens about three or four years ago. I remember going down to the barn one night several months after our chickens had gone from chicks to hens to put everybody up for the night. I took a hen count and was missing one. I ran up to the house to get the kids and the husband to help me find that lost Black Australorp in the dark. We shined the flash light all over trying to find her and finally did. She was roosted on the back of one of the ewes!

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

They get along just fine.

Here's Kiwi tending her flock:

[​IMG]

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Dolly has a pet chicken. The hen will ride along on Dolly, and I've come home to find the rest of the chickens back in the coop for the night but the one hen sitting alongside Dolly...too goofy!

Of course, that doesn't address the issue of diseases that may pass from one to the other. I've wondered about cocidia myself...

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our neighbors are bottle feeding a ewe lamb with lamb replacer(one of triplets). She was doing fine except had a problem yesterday. Glad to see the chickens probably weren't the cause. We prefer not to have ours together; no special reason other than the mess.

8. ErinC

ErinC Well-Known Member

Our chickens and sheep are totally fascinated with eachother. They sit in the pasture and stare at one another all day...very funny to watch!