Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor whom I just love and we were discussing our dog search..... told her finding a small puppy was impossible that didn't cost $500 bucks around here......She mentioned she had a friend who had purebred chihuahua pups that were 6 weeks old (she is getting one) and asked if I would be interested... I said I would like to see them and the parents and then decide....

She called me back last nite and we went to look at them at 9 pm.... OMgoodness! They are adorable! Mom is a gorgeous butterscotch color and dad was a reddish/brown color. They were EXTREMELY well behaved, manners, etc. They had three pups and I got to see the two that weren't taken.....

Here's a picture of them (getting them to hold still was a real challenge)
The red one is the runt (1/3 smaller than the other two but feisty!!) But the butterscotch pup is just as cute! She is much more laid back, timid and even shy.... I have to let the kids see them too before we choose one for sure!!

The best part is that this woman is willing to take small do-able payments on the pup ---(She normally gets $400 a pup but is selling to me for 1/4 of the regular price..... This is perfect for us! She going through a divorce, selling her home, and is needing to move into an apartment in a few months.

I played with them for an hour last nite... took 50 pictures of them..... they won't be ready for another 2 weeks so we have some time to get things in order here at home... but I am so excited.... and we can go visit any evening as she just lives down the street from us!!

DD and I stayed up until 11:30 thinking of adorable names, talking about her making her some outside clothes.... heading to the library to get some books so she can read up on the breed......

Aren't they adorable?????

·
Registered
206 Posts
Awwwww....so cute. Chis are our favorite breed. We have an 8 mo male and a female chihuahua-jack russell mix. Congrats!!!

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
My friend that passed away in August had two Chis, the femal was CC and the male was Pe Pe, like "Pe Pe La Pue" Don't know if that's how it is spelled or not.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Chihuahuas are the greatest, my favorite breed next to pugs, but be aware they are velcro dogs, as in they will attach themselves to you and always want to be with you - it's their nature, they are lovebugs and want to be with their people at all times. They can also be quite the barkers, so have patience with that. Also, their bladders are tiny and especially when they are tiny pups realize that housebreaking may take awhile, as they can't hold it very long.

I don't know how old your kids are, but homes with very young children are not recommended for Chihauhaus as they are too fragile of dogs to be handled roughly. Many have been permanently injured or killed by young kids. My neighbor's 5 year old son accidentally broke their chihuahua's neck during rough and tumble play. You really need to teach your kids to treat this dog as fragile. Their limbs break easily too. My cousin's chihuahua fell off her very low deck and broke both of his front legs and is now in casts. Poor thing. I baby the heck out of my Chihuahua and never let anyone play roughly with him, including my 4 year old DGD.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am sitting here with my litttle chihuahua "Tinker" in my lap now. My only problems with her are the barking....good burgler alarm :) ...and the possesiveness. She thinks she has to "protect" me from my grown kids and husband. If they hug me she cries and whines and really goes nuts.

It's funny though....she is very tolerant of my grandchildren. When the 2 year old cries, she is the first one to come get me and "demand" I go see what is the matter. One thing....they are always cold! Mine loves to climb inside my robe or under a blanket.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I am sitting here with my litttle chihuahua "Tinker" in my lap now. My only problems with her are the barking....good burgler alarm :) ...and the possesiveness. She thinks she has to "protect" me from my grown kids and husband. If they hug me she cries and whines and really goes nuts.

It's funny though....she is very tolerant of my grandchildren. When the 2 year old cries, she is the first one to come get me and "demand" I go see what is the matter. One thing....they are always cold! Mine loves to climb inside my robe or under a blanket.
Mine is very protective of me and my little granddaughter as well. They do seem to pick their favorite people in the family and then stick to them like glue. LOL And yes, mine is always cold too. In the wintertime he wears shirts and sweaters, and is always cuddled up underneath a blanket.

Be sure to keep your new baby chihuahua WARM!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Just wanted to add when my chihuahua was a puppy he just loved playing with those vinyl/rubber dog toys. He had a special ball that was way bigger then his mouth that he could get a grip on with his teeth, and he loved to carry it around and make it bounce. He still loves that ball when we get it out to play with him. Be sure and get your puppy some toys to play with and chew on. It will keep him out of trouble. LOL And never ever feed him/her Greenies. They can get stuck in the throat further down and cause major problems, including death. They need to take those things off the market, I've read more horror stories about them and toy breed dogs. :(

·
Registered
946 Posts
Timid and shy isn't a good thing, especially with kids.
Now the little one will be easier to carry around in a bag. :)

My dog was suppose to be six pounds (according to the breeder) so I trained her for the bag. She ended up being twelve pounds which gets heavy real fast. (My vet cannot believe she would ever get that big. She thought eight pounds max)

People get a kick out of her hopping in the bag by herself. And I take her everywhere and no one notices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts