chiggers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Jul 31, 2006.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

we seem to have chiggers coming from nowhere. We have never had them before. How can we get rid of them? chickens is not an option, and we keep the grass cut. Fingernail polish does not stop the terrible itching. Anyone?

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Put honey on the itchy area. Or neosporin. Honey is cheaper and works against some of the multi-drug resistant infections that go around now and can chew on chigger-damaged skin.

I just saw a discussion of a similar chigger problem on another board. I don't know how to get rid of the bugs themselves in the environment. Usually by the time you've scratched, they're gone or you scratched them off. But they leave little holes in your skin that are kept open a while by enzymes and that is why you itch so much.

3. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Are you sure they are chiggers? I get a chigger now and then, but in recent years the turkey mites (at least that's what I call them) are pretty rough. A chigger whelp is quite a bit bigger on me than bites from the mites. The mites usually get me on the feet and ankles and itch to high heaven. And there will be multiple bites. You can hardly see them, and you can shower and they stay on you somehow or another. Because of the dogs possibly bringing them in, I spray the yard in the area around the house with Spectracide, or something similar. I change families of bug killer every year so they don't build up immunities. When I venture out in the woods, which is often, I use either bug spray with 40% DEET, or Permanone on my clothes, or both. ANything less than 40% DEET is pretty much totally useless, at least for the Kentucky version of these critters. :)

4. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Im sure they are chiggers. The spot is as big as a mosquito bite. I was always told that chiggers stay in your skin, and sometimes move around. Thats the whole reason for fingernail polish, to suffocat them.

5. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

that chiggers stay in your skin is a myth ....and you may be risking a nasty skin infection by putting nail polish on the bite. the reason that the bites itch so bad and get so ugly is that the chiggers bite you and inject a digestive enzyme that they produce which disolves smallish amounts of tissue ....then they suck that dissolved tissue out of you and call it a happy meal. Most people have a moderate allergy to the enzyme and that causes the severe itching and discomfort. Try tea tree oil, or camphor or hydrocortizone if you feel like you have to. In a real bind take benadryl and use a topical with lidocaine or benzocaine to get relief ( in a pinch we have used anbesol or orajel).

We actually did lots of chigger research awhile back when my homeschooled kiddos got eaten up while fishing. I was amazed at what nonsense I had believed about those little critters most of my life when I learned the truth.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Others have been saying how well tea tree oil works, and we've been using it around here quite a bit since reading about it here.

DD got a tattoo on her shoulder (and THAT'S a whole 'nuther story!). It was itching like mad (no, I did not say, "Neener, neener!") She had tried cortisone cream, neosporin, and something else. I put some tea tree oil on it, and her whole body relaxed from the relief.

So, tea tree oil would be my suggestion. Better than what my Uncle Cliff used to do for chiggers. He'd scratch open the welt and pour cheap whiskey on it. OUCH!!!

Pony!

7. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

I too have found this to be a problem. I have never had this problem before unless I walked through high grass or in the woods. After many days of trying to figure out where the heck I am getting them, it's from my garden. No weeds, just a good growing garden. Now that makes me mad because today after figuring that one out, I don't want to go back out there. I am so full of chigger bites and I itch to high heaven. The thought of putting deet on right now makes me just think of crying. Why would chiggers be in my garden? I have gardened for years and never had this problem.

8. StinkerBell

StinkerBell Well-Known Member

I thought they layed eggs under the skin.....:noidea