Chiggers on cut your own Xmas trees?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jenn, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

That infallible source, a guy at the office, told DH they all got chiggers after they brought their cut your own Xmas tree into the house- tghe chiggers jumped off the tree once in the house! Any truth to it? Actually it was probably that they got chiggers going out and cutting the tree.... Thanks for your thoughts, since YOU all here are MY infallible source.

2. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

In our area, chiggers over winter in the soil as an adult "Harvest Mite". The adult Harvest Mite does not bite and we do not see immatures now. Chiggers are the immature stage of this mite and the immatures do bite.

There are other mites that inhabit areas where birds might nest, but they don't "jump" out of a tree. Mites crawl.

If you have chiggers year-round in your area, you are probably right and they got them just walking out to get the tree.

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Ugh, I hate those things.

I used to get bit by them all the time in GA growing up, Mom always had rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball ready and waiting when I got inside lol.

Kat

4. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

You know...when it is "chigger season" here - it is not uncommon for people to get them when going around pine trees.

You may want to check with your local extension agent - they could tell you for sure what might be going on in your area.

5. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

The things that they seem to be talking about that jumped off the tree on to them and bit them are probably fleas, that is what it sounds like. If it is fleas you could possibly get your house infested with them and that is a lot of fun.