Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when I went to take a bath, I glanced in the mirror and was pretty shocked to see the number of bug bites that I have. Between the chiggers, ticks and mosquitos, I don't think there is a 6X6 part of my body that does not have a bite on it. The itching is so bad, that it even wakes me up at night!

Bug spray is not working and neither is a host of other things I have tried, including some of the recommendations I have gotten from HT folks. I guess I am just going to have to suffer until the weather gets cool enough to kill the little buggers.

*sigh*

donsgal
presently itching.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I understand your pain man.... I've gotten into TWO batches of seed ticks...both on my left leg...one batch was all around my ankle...and it itches SO BADDDDD!! The second batch, I got them all off before they got stuck....so I was ready for them... The off works for me...SSS does too...as long as you put it on well....and often..plus, I spray any of my yard that I'm going to be in............

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Heres A cure fore chiggers that works for me. A older lady who was 80 plus years old told us this one. Take A wet cloth ring it out .Put Bleach on it. Wipe down the effected area with the bleach. Best done after A HOT bath with bleach in the water About A 1/4 cup in the tub. Stops the ich fast. Then you can shower to get the bleach odor off. But .Best to wait 15 minutes before showering after apply bleach. She swore by Clorox. God rest her sole.. Some odf the Older folks knew/know there stuff. I thought it was A folk lore till I was to the point I'd try almost anything to get rid of the itch!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well, I don't know if I could do the Clorox thing. And I haven't found anything to keep from getting bit or that will totally get rid of the itching. BUT, I pretty much keep tick and chigger bites during the summer months and it helps me to get through the night if I take a HOT Aveeno oatmeal bath. If I don't have that, I will use baking soda. I also use the Aveeno cream before bed when I have a bad case of seed tick bites and it helps me sleep.

Good luck!

Rachael

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I haven't heard of seed ticks before; are these the same thing as deer ticks? I know those little buggers make me itch like CRAZY after they get ahold! And chiggers & mosquitoes seek me out even when no one else is being bothered by them.

After working outside, I come in and take a warm (not hot) soda bath with 1/3rd cup of baking soda and it takes care of the chiggers - as long as I don't wait too long. I make sure I soak in it for about 20 minutes. But once I've been bitten, I haven't found anything that helps with the itching except for temporary help from an anti-itch antihistamine cream.

·
Registered
11 Posts
donsgal....I can sypathize with you on the chigger bites. They seem to be a bumper crop this year in NW TN. The only thing I can say is get a Clorox bleach bath to get them off of you. For the itching, I have been using benadryl clear gel or wintergreen rubbing alcohol to sooth that itch so I can get some sleep. It isn't taking away the itch totally, but it's working better than any thing else I have tried.

She

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
MTNwomanAR said:
The off works for me...SSS does too...as long as you put it on well....and often......
I am almost certain that you meant Avon Skin So Soft.....but as far as HT goes I have always equated SSS with "Shoot Shovel Shutup" so at first didnt understand your response....then I chuckled!!!!

I use OFF and avoid going outside when the mosquitos are the worst

Rachel

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
james dilley said:
Seed ticks = Baby Ticks. Seed ticks are just Smaller ticks Thats really small.The Mature tick gives birth to the seed ticks,!!
How can you tell the difference between a seed tick and deer tick?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Shepherd said:
How can you tell the difference between a seed tick and deer tick?

I never knew they were just baby ticks....everybody around here just calls them seed ticks. But, they are so tiny, sometimes you don't even see them. And they bite you over and over again until they find a place to embed. So, if you get into seed ticks, you will usually have a trail of dozens and dozens of little red bites, then you will find them embedded all over. The bites will itch for a week or two, usually. I HATE them!!!

Rachael

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I've tried a little tea tree oil on spots that were really itchy from being bug bitten and it relieved the itch and pain quite a bit. 'no see um' and the biting deer flies here are the worst for me.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We worked outside last 2 weekends and Dh and I are eaten but compared to our boys we are golden. I don't know what they go into as they were w/ us but they are chewed and add playing on their bikes on our gravel drive they are black and blue in places too. I was teasing that I was going to have to wrap them in bubble wrap so they wouldn't look so battered. They just grinned and showed us all their owies for more kisses and hugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts