Chigger ideas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Rooster, May 11, 2006.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

The season is almost here and last year I about got ate up by the devils. I am seeking any and all ideas on how to keep them off of me and my pets, as I think some of the chiggers I am picking up are coming off of the cats and dog. What has helped or works for you all?

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

You could wear a plastic suit or move to an area that does not have chiggers. I hate the buggers my self but their is not much to do but grimmace and bear them.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Brewer's yeast or vitamin B supplement. I can't remember which vit B makes your skin taste bad. B-12? Free ranging poultry will also help to diminish the numbers.

4. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Years ago when I used to go fishing, I always doused my socks and the legs of my jeans with sulphur powder..never had any problems with either ticks or chiggers jumping on board as I walked through dense brush to get to the "good spots" along the river bank.

5. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

We have them bad in Missouri. The best remedy is to keep them from digging in, use a dry washcloth or bandanna on all exposed skin, and under socks, just wipe yourself off at least every four hours, while in the woods or fields. I haven't had any multiple chigger spots since I started doing this.
    They have a very soft body, and wiping them off kills them.
    By the time you notice a bite, either the first scratch kills them, or they've already had their meal, and dropped off to lay eggs, and all you're left with is the seven-day-itch.

6. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

When we were kids and went blackberry picking, we tied kerosene rags around our ankles and wrist. Little smelly, but it seemed to work. But I would go along with what "bostonlesley" said about the sulfur. Someone else on this forum suggested that for ticks and it is working (thank you whoever you were). I only had to get over 50 tick bites before I tried it...yes they are bad here.

Whitewolf

7. Randy Rooster

They concentrate in my underwear places. Last year it looked like I had a diaper rash at times. Ankles are the other hot spot, but I have had em all over.

There must be something that can be done for my animals.

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I don't know of any remedy to keep them off, but I get attacked viciously every year too, so at the first sign that they're out, I follow the advice that a fellow chatter recommended. When you come back in the house, immediately put your clothes in the laundry room for washing (don't put them back on) and submerge yourself in a tub of cool baking soda water (1/3rd cup), soaking for about 20 minutes. I don't know why it works, but it does work for me, as long as I remember to do that.

I have no idea how to keep them off the animals. Have you consulted a vet?

9. phrogpharmer

phrogpharmer Well-Known Member

What is a chigger? Can you see them without magnification? Do they hop or crawl? Do they tunnel around under the skin? If so, is that what makes the itch? Are they insects, mites, crustaceans, or what?
    I sure hope somebody from Back East doesn't track any into this area.
    We have some mosquitos, gnats, and a few ticks. If you let your dog chase rock chucks or squirrels you may get some fleas.
    You can wade through tall grass and bushes all day with shorts on and not get any bites, scratches and sunburn but no bites.

10. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

there is so much misinformation about chiggers in this thread, please do a google search on them guys.

11. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

LOL @ phrogpharmer, if you really want to learn about chiggers, you have to experience it firsthand, come to Missouri! (or let your kids get them really bad and feel the guilt!)

Paranoid, thank you for your helpful contribution, your name fits! LOL

I don't know what misinformation you were referring to, but we all have ways of dealing with chiggers, and we shared them, everyone except you and phrogpharmer.
    Well, I did learn something, trying to determine the misinformation, they would stay attached and feeding for up to four days if they weren't killed by scratching and bathing. I stand corrected.

Most of the Google search results recommend pesticides or repellents be applied to your body or clothing, I don't use those chemicals on myself or my kids.
    Many of the results also recommend a hot bath or shower, and laundering infested clothes.
    When I can, that is what I do.

However, I'm usually at Girl Scout Camp with a bunch of kids, or camping off grid at our place in the woods when I'm in chigger territory. Hours (or days) away from a hot shower.
    That's why I recommended periodically rubbing them off before they get dug in.
    It's worked for me, my family, and hundreds of Girl Scouts.

Here's a link to the University of Maryland Cooperative Extension's publication on chiggers, it pretty much says everything... (PDF file)
    http://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/publications/chiggers_pfv.pdf

Randy I hope this helps! LOL You might just have to drop trou in the woods and rub them all off periodically, my daughters aren't shy about doing that anymore since they've had their share of scratchy sleepless nights.

12. Randy Rooster

"Randy I hope this helps! LOL You might just have to drop trou in the woods and rub them all off periodically, my daughters aren't shy about doing that anymore since they've had their share of scratchy sleepless nights."

Looks like theres gonna be a full moon over Carolina

13. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

my father in law used rubbing alcohol, gave everybody a bottle. rub it on ankles, behind knees, the places where your underwear ends, belly bottom etc. It works if you keep dilligently at it. If you forget, which I always do, you notice when it is too late.