Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do sand fly bites look like

HELOVIGETTY IMAGES
What they look like: Sand fly bites are distinct from those of other flies. They can appear alone, but often present in groups of small, red bumps or blisters.

Chigger Bites
what do chigger bites look like

What they look like: Also known as berry bugs or harvest mites, chiggers are those tiny, red mites that are almost invisible to the naked eye. Their bites take the form of flat, red patches or raised, red bumps, and they sometimes might even become blisters or pustules. Chiggers often bite the ankles, wrists, thighs, groin, and waist.
Symptoms to note: Contrary to popular belief, chiggers don’t burrow into your skin or suck blood—but that doesn’t make their bites any less itchy. The severe discomfort can last up to two weeks, but mites don’t spread disease, at least within the United States.

·
Super Moderator
17,408 Posts
Chiggers generally feed over a couple of days, kind of like ticks do. I have found that if spray the fresh bites with insect repellent that I can shorten the time of misery considerably. I assume that the chiggers are repelled by the insect repellent and LEAVE.

I treat my bites with benedryl, and before I developed an allergy to ibuprofin I found that to be helpful as well. Ibuprofin is an anti inflammatory, and so it reduces the swelling and the itch

·
Premium Member
34,668 Posts
My chigger bites are a lot more swollen and in areas where clothing is tight. Leaving soap on my skin for at least a minute when I take a shower seems to prevent a lot of bad bites. You have to shower before going to bed for that to be most effective.

·
Premium Member
24,864 Posts
Tecnu soap is our go-to for everything from poison ivy to chigger bites. Hot water, soap, scrub like hell, and apply calamine or benadryl or plantain or whatever you prefer.

Next time you go out, make sure to tuck your pant leg into your sock, and dust with sulfur or python.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts