Chicory seed question...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HappyYooper, Sep 12, 2006.

1. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

Hello :)
    I purchased some Chicory seeds recently...about 600 seeds. I'm not sure how to go about planting these. Do you think I should rough up an area and just sprinkle them about? I've seen them growing along the highway so I'm thinking they don't need any special care. Has anyone planted them from seed? Would you know how long they would take til they bloom? I just LOVE their blue flowers!
    Thanks!
    Paula

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Always thought that the rule of thumb was that you don’t plant a seed more than the depth of its size. With chicory I would plant like lettuce, in a light, rich soil. They are weeds here – still I love the blue blooms and usually save a few stands here and there around the place. They grow in the same places as yarrow, wild carrots and dock. If planted now in the UP I don't think they would do well.

3. HappyYooper

Hi!
    So then I should probably wait until the spring to plant them then? They're weeds here too but I came accross them on ebay and thought I'd give them a try. Thanks!
    Paula

4. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey MountainMamma91;I am assuming you don't have that much of a growing season left.In the future you can plant seeds in late summer so that the plants get frost which makes them edible for fall and winter salads.They do however put on an incredible blue show.I plant them here on the west coast raking the soil surface broadcast the seeds and smooth over with back of rake.I use an Italian Mix that has a dozen varieties but the flowers are all the same.

5. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Hmmm... and what seed company sells this Italian Mix?

6. Zebraman

Hey Lynne;The Company is Pagano from Italy.US dist.Lake Valley Seeds.
    5717 Araphoe St.Boulder,CO.80303
    Lake Valley Seeds has a website but they don't sell seeds from the site.I buy them locally.You could write them and find out where to get them in your area.
    The Mix is called "Misticanza o Miscuglio di Insalate".-

7. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

8. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted some chicory seed I purchased this spring and the leaves don't look at all like the plants along the roads. I was told it takes two years for the plants to bloom and yup mine have not bloomed this year. The leaves look more like lettuce. Too bad you are not planting til next year I would like to know what the leaves look like. I'll be anxious to see what the flowers on my plants look like. Rita

9. HappyYooper

Thanks for the advise! Now comes the long wait...
    So Rita, your plants should flower next spring then?

10. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There are many different kinds of chicory. The "wild" ones are usually the type originally planted for their roots or animal food. Although blue is the most common color, flowers may also be pink or white. Here's a site with a number of different Italian varieties:
    http://www.felcopruners.net/Catalogna.0.html

Martin

11. Rita

MtMama, Yes, I guess spring or summer for blooms. I think I will dig up some of the chicory that grows along the roadside. We have lovely yellow flowers growing all along the roads right now and I dug some of them up as they are as pretty as any you can buy and I notice that where they are mowed down by the county they are bushy and just full of flowers. Rita

12. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Hummm...maybe I shold go pick what's left growing alongside my driveway before the donkeys finish them off! :) they are very pretty! And the donkeys really seem to like them too!

13. HappyYooper

Maybe I'll do that too and have flowers next year! I've read you can use the root to flavor your coffee too?

14. Zebraman

Hey Mountainmamma91;If you like "Postum" you'll also like this.The common chichory found in ditches along roadsides is Chichorium intybus.It is the roots(roasted)that are used.-

15. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I bought a small bag of them and just threw them over my shoulder as I was disking. That was 2 springs ago. The first spring they came up pretty good, but this year they really came on. I have a good stand of them head high. The lovely blue flowers came all summer. Now they are drying up and the chickens are eating there alot. I should have more next year.
    PS We ate mucho greens this spring. They were real nice.

16. HappyYooper

How would one go about roasting the roots?

17. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Dig the roots in midsummer before the flower stalks begin to form. Roots will be somewhat like a carrot then. Scrub clean, slice them like carrots, and dry. Roast in 225F oven until the color of medium brown coffee. Grind and store like coffee.

Martin

18. Rita

Vicker, Do they all get that high? I have mine in a rock garden. How do you eat the greens, like lettuce or cooked like spinach. I didn't know you could eat chicory.

19. HappyYooper

Well that sounds like something I can do! I'll have to give the greens a try next year too. Thanks for all your information!

20. HappyYooper

I've heard of it but never tried it....guess I'll have to give it a taste. Thanks!