Chickweed !!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wildcatt, Aug 8, 2004.

1. wildcatt

wildcatt Member

LOL Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill chickweed - or suggestions for making my fortune in growing the stuff. It has taken over my garden again this year and I would dearly love to kill it permanently without going to extremes and killing off the good plants.

Fingers Crossed!

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Seems to me I remember it edible so eat it or feed it to chickens?

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes feed it to your chickens. Mine love it so much my friends bring it over as a gift for the birds!

PQ

4. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

Yes, chickens love it and it makes them healthy. It is also a blood purifier, and used quite a bit by herbalists. Before I had a garden I actually paid good money for the dried herb from the health food store. Can you imagine paying for chickweed?! My pigs snack on it, too. I consider it a beneficial weed, and just keep pulling it and feeding it to the animals every day so it doesn't take over the garden beds. Chickweed thrives in good, rich soil. It is an indicator of good gardening soil, so congratulate yourself. :)

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read where they take a double layed of clear plastic with air space between the layers to cook the soil during hot weather. This was about a six week project as I recall. I wish I had a site to send you to about this but I don't.
    You could put up a sign FREE CHICKEN FEED. Any weeds they didn't pull out of your garden would get tromped to death right along with your veggies.

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Here's some info on how useful this herb is!

Collect the whole herb, roots and all, during the growing period, for drying. This is an effective way to prevent it becoming a weed.

Eat in salads or sandwiches, or cooked like spinach.

The leaves, as a poultice or infused as a wash, are used externally for treating many different skin disorders, including boils, sores, eczema and other itchy conditions, cancer, swollen testicles, haemorrhoids and sore or inflamed eyes. Added to a bath, the infusion will help reduce inflammation and encourage tissue repair. Internally, the infusion is also used to treat urinary tract infections, bronchitis, laryngitis, internal ulcers, liver ailments, minor blood poisoning, pleurisy, bowel complaints and constipation. It is very high in a wide range of nutrients. Reputed to regulate the thyroid gland. Used daily, it has a reputation for being helpful in weight-reduction regimes, as it reduces the appetite. Helps dry up mother’s milk when weaning.

In short, it's a wonder herb, particularly good for skin problems of various kinds. It can be used dried, and there's definitely a market and a demand for it.

7. wildcatt

wildcatt Member

Oh Boy! Have no chickens; 6 weeks of hot weather is longer than our summer and I would have to eat 6 meals a day for 10 years to get rid of all this chickweed. Probably will be good for weight reduction what with all the weeding that I am having to do - anyway, thanks for the input - always appreciated.