Chickens with Goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TxCloverAngel, Jul 11, 2005.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

HI again. I am starting to get ready for the arrival of Geranium & Sugar (3 yr old mini-Lamanchas). I have a few months before they come home... I am wanting to make a nice escape-proof pen for them... I have a wonderful neighbor who used to raise ostriches, she has tons of chain-link fence I can have all I want if I take it down... I would like to fence in an acre for them....

My question is... I would also like to have a door from my hen house open up into the same pen....
    Anybody know if Chickens & goats are ok together?

My feathered girls usually roam free round our place, but for some unknown reason one of my dogs freaked on me and killed 5 of them! Before this he never even paid any attention to them! I am heartbroken, the dog is gone now, but I want BOTH my feathered girls and my new Goat girls to be safe & happy... Do ya think they would be happy Together??

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Too funny - you and I posted the same question at the same time. Who will people reply to?? Guess we need to keep checking both threads! :eek:

Good luck with your new goaties!

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

They should be fine. Just make sure the goats can not get to the chicken feed.

4. TxCloverAngel

I know! Great minds huh? lol watch the poultry site too lol Its there as well :) if nothing else... I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one w/ these questions... at times I wonder how many ppl are wondering If I have a clue! lol well.... nope! thats why I'm here :shrug:

5. TxCloverAngel

Nope, I have what my hubby calls an old shed ( I like to refer to it as the "barn" hehe) half of it is walled in and made into a hen house. where their food is. I'd like to make the other half a goat hotel. sooo they wouldnt have acess to eachothers food, but be in the same barn and each have doors out to their "shared" pasture.

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

My goats and chickens are all together, altho' the hens have their own house, they run around all the time with the goats. I have had an occassion or two where the goats came running and a chicken was in their way and went to the Feather Heaven, but normally, they learn to get out of the way. I have one saucy little silkie who will peck the goat on the nose if she feels all the feed is hers, really have some laughs at times with them.

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Our Boer cross does and Rhode Island Reds love each other-our hens often want to sleep with the goats instead of roosting at night! My only worry has been that one of the goats step on the chicken's feet, but so far, so good!

8. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Though my chickens and goats have seperate feeding and sleeping areas from one another they are outside together all the time no problems yet. They've all been together since April or may. Sorry been busy around here and I can't remember dates without looking them up on a calendar!!!

My aunt always kept her goats and chickens together with out any problems and had them together for years. So I think the answer to that is NO PROBLEM!!!

9. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Chickens with goat can be really healthy because they will scratch throught the manure and get good B12 vitamins. But be aware that sometimes if there is a high cocci load in 1 specie, it will end up high in the other because they are eating in the same place the other specie is also going to the bathroom in. If you have a large enough area this probably isn't a problem, but it is one that is known to happen.

Good luck and God bless!

Natalie

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

See my answer on the other chicken/goat thread. ;)

It works for me.

11. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

My goats and chickens are together and they do very well. The chicken feed is the big thing to watch for. My Goats love it and can get through the tiny chicken door to get to it. Unfortunately, it took me months to confirm that one doe was particularly fond of the chicken coup. Anyway, the laying mash that I use has alot of things in it that the goaties shouldn't eat in quanities, like selenium.

12. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Ours are together its the best way we have found to keep preadators away from the chickens the goats sleep right in front of the small chicken door. I would be sure to make the chicken door where the goats sleep for that reason. Just be sure yo have a good latch ont he chicken house or the goats will be into thier feed.

13. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I wondered about this awhile back and did an Internet search back then. Supposedly chickens can't give coccidiosis to goats or vice versa....each species has it's own strain or something like that. Ya'll might want to make sure of that fact, but I haven't had any trouble with my chickens and goats being together. However, the chickens have recently (or maybe I only recently noticed) taken a liking for goat poop! Could it be the grain I give the goats?

I feed my chickens while milking. That keeps the chickens away from the goat feed and goats away from chicken feed. I just throw enough on the ground that they can clean up in about 15 minutes (long enough for me to milk and feed the goats).

The only real problem I've had is a chick got trampled once, but I plan to remove my broody hens from the goat yard in the future, so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore.

14. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that coccidiosis is species specific, too.

I've thought of putting my chickens with my goats, but I'm afraid the hawk will get them. Does anyone have this problem? We have RI Reds.

15. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

While it is true that cocci is host-specific, all cocci like the same environment. If one can grow, they all can :)
    Warm + Damp + Dark = Many cocci

I have 3 roosters in with some mamas this summer. The chickens have no shelter of their own but share the goat shed. I feed them pellets in the morning, scattered on the ground so the goats have a hard time getting them. For the most part, the roosters scratch around in the old hay. I am hoping they are eating the stable fly larvae that is there. We have a terrible fly problem in these parts this year.

16. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I have a goat in with the chickens during the day. She can get into the coop through the chicken door though. I can't believe how she crawls through there! Anyway, I have to watch what I feed my hens. I feed them first thing in the morning, and let the goat out as my very last chore. This gives the hens time to eat. I give them some scratch grains right before the goat comes to stay so that if she eats some she will be OK. I give them their high pro chicken feed at night after the goat goes to bed in the barn. I have noticed that my hens eat the most in the morning and early evening. The rest of the day they are in the yard eating greens, scratch, and bugs. As long as the goat can't get their feed at peak feeding hours, we are OK.

As a precaution, you could give them a CD&T shot. They ought to have one yearly anyway. Then if they do eat a little too much, or eat some chicken feed, it won't kill them.

My goat actually likes the chickens better than the herd and prefers to live with them. I get a real kick out of how she greets the roosters first thing every morning, then heads for the coop to see if there are any leftovers. The chickens like to share her breakfast too. They LOVE goat feed.

17. TxCloverAngel

My girls just turned 3 months old (on July 16th) Are they too young for the CD&T shot? I have been told they had to be 6 months old for it? And... do I have to get this at the Vet or will my TSC have it? Thanks!

18. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

nope I give mine cd/t before disbudding. 3cc I believe. Check the bottle. You can get it at TSC or any online vet place (ie Valley Vet, ALS etc).

19. dragonfly65

dragonfly65 Well-Known Member

Our goats actually preferred the chicken coop to their goat house. They were eating me out of house and home before I finally figured out how to keep them from crawling throught the little chicken door. I finally had to put a 2x4 up across the door just high enough for the chickens to duck under. The goats never seemed to have problems from eating the lay pellets (they were probably too full from scrounging leftover scratch from the duck pens to eat too much layer), but they really tore up the coop. My poor nest boxes will never be the same. It was also aggravating to find broken egg all over the goats' backs and smeared in their beautiful mohair! YUCK!

20. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

No, they're not too young. Most give it before disbudding in the first week or two. And it's 2cc or 2mls. Most feed places will have it, but it's in their fridge. Gotta to be kept cold. And they'll need a booster about a month after the first one, then anually.