Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have 6 RIR's about 13 weeks old. I got them a few weeks ago and they will not roost. They sleep huddled together in a nesting box. Their roost pole is the highest point about 2 -3 feet off the ground. How do I get them out of the nest and onto the pole?

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Close off the nest boxes for a few weeks. They might be young enough to still want to huddle for sleeping, but sleeping in the nests is not a habit you want to condone.

You could take them out of the nests and put them on the roosts after dark. Hold them gently but tightly until their feet are firmly on the roost.

Is the roost easy for them to get up to and down from and wide enough to be comfortable?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We start our chicks with a set of small roosts - it's really just some small diameter branches we picked up in the yard connected to edge pieces that we lean against thin brooder box. Our chicks are a bit over two weeks now and routinely hop up and down on these little roosting 'sticks' but still sleep huddled. As they grow, we take this twig/roost thing out and replace with a bigger set of sticks we found in the yard. By the time they're ready to move out of the brooder into the coop or barn stall, they have spent a fair amount of time roosting and seem to just adapt to the higher, bigger roosting bars.
For sure, if we find older chicks begin to sleep in nesting boxes, the boxes are covered at night when the doors get locked and uncovered when we go out early in the morning.

Reactions: Lady89

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
They are probably not quite ready to roost yet. A small temporary perch about 6 inches off the ground, (a stick lying across some bricks) will get them perching faster than a perch that is a couple feet high.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
They are probably not quite ready to roost yet. A small temporary perch about 6 inches off the ground, (a stick lying across some bricks) will get them perching faster than a perch that is a couple feet high.
Thats what I do and you might give them a heat lamp, 60 watt would work till it cold about 2 feet above the birds so if they want heat they can move toward it and away if they dont

·
Registered
841 Posts
i had to brake my RIR's of this as well just gently move them to the roost every night after it gets dark they will get the idea in time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts