Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we're thinking about trying to move our chickens into our nice spiffy new goat pasture and were wondering if that was an OK thing to do. Does anyone keep their goats & chickens together in the same space? Or will they like.. not get along? We have 5 Dark Cornish chickens which we really like (though, they're anything but friendly... the 'wildest' chickens we've ever had, as my dad says;) and just two kiko goats atm (though we're thinking about getting a few more :D its amazing how you want more just as soon as you have two!! ;) Their pasture is about 2.5 acres.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
My chickens free range in the barn and goat pasture, spending the majority of their time there. They seem to feel safer surrounded by large mammals such as the cow and the goats. I do not, however, allow them to roost in the barn at night. The accumulation of manure is bad for the more sensitive noses of the goats, so I've heard.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think in that sized area you should be fine; my chickens are in a coop off my garden (25x100) and they did not like it, most of them spent the night in the trees instead of their coop; I started letting my chickens back out again when I started letting the goats out of the garden, this seems to work much better if both the chickens and the goats can come and go. I would just keep and eye on them and watch to see how things go from there

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Mine co-mingle just fine :) 3 goats, 10 chickens, 5 cats, 2 horses...all living in harmony in all the same areas. Everyone free range except the horses

·
Rattlin Rock Ranch
298 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Chickens have thier own coop for laying & feed & roosting but they run up to the goat pen sooon as they are let out and hang out there all day scratching thru the bedding and sometimes laying an egg in the hay feeder the buggars.
They have their own water but prefer drinking the goat's. Once in awhile one will turn around and poop in it.

·
The Awesome PT & Friends
2,178 Posts
Got horses, goats and chickens together here, no problems so far.

·
Registered
307 Posts
No problems here as well. The chickens hang out with the goats and pick up the spilled grain right under the goats feet as they feed. The horses for the most part ignore them, although the minature will give a chase every once in a while. The chickens are pretty savy though.

Shannon L. Darby
SLD Farm
Beallsville, OH
http://www.sldfarm.net

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
My chickens are with the goats, but I'd sure like to get them out and into their own place. They constantly scratch everything up, making the coops icky, and then of course, they want to roost right over the goats.

I don't mind them in the pasture together, but I do mind them in the same barn.

·
A & N Lazy Pond Farm
3,376 Posts
Where there's a chicken, there's coccidia, so you have to be vigilant about your parasite control & sanitation.

Madfarmer

I have always read and been told that it is host specific. Chickens get the chicken type, goats get the goat type.

Chickens will also help out somewhat with fly control.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Absolutely go for it, we have our goats in a large yard that is fenced... they just free range into the woods in back and the chickens are all free range. They love the goats, clean up the extra grain that the goats drop and keep the fly population under control (not as well as turkeys but...). We even end up with goats with chickens on their backs and they don't mind. THe chickens get told to stay out of the goat grain when they get too pushy.

We enjoy the whole menagerie. All 45 chickens and 20 + goats.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Was told a long time ago from a vet that the diseases that chickens get aren't transferrable to goats..so no harm in letting them run with the goats. How many wild birds are in your pasture around you goats everyday anyways..they'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Ours are together and get along great. We even had a rooster teach a bellering doe to shut up - anytime she'd start yelling, he'd chase her until she shut up. Got rid of that rooster and shortly after, goat started her old antics up! Quite funny to watch. Our chickens do have their own coop they go into at night, but it's located right in the goat pasture.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's correct- coccidia is host specific.

however, ther eare other things that goats pick up from chickens- the most often seen is a thing called 'red water', which comes from the goats eating thngs that have hot chicken leavings on them. You'll see it mostly when chickens are housed on the up side of a goat area-

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Our goats & chickens used to be in the same barn, but in different sections. The chickens got to scratch around in the goat hay & eat dropped grains & the goats didn't seem to mind them. Actually, my Alpha doe just LOVES the chickens. She'll drop her head down to them & some of them will actually sit on her back when it's cold outside. Downside to that, of course, is chicken poop on the goat.

We moved the goats to their "new" pen (more grass & weeds to eat still) and although they don't sleep in the same barn now, the chickens do end up by the goats during the day.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/dustyraven13/100_0777.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/dustyraven13/100_0778.jpg

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Our goats & chickens used to be in the same barn, but in different sections. The chickens got to scratch around in the goat hay & eat dropped grains & the goats didn't seem to mind them. Actually, my Alpha doe just LOVES the chickens. She'll drop her head down to them & some of them will actually sit on her back when it's cold outside. Downside to that, of course, is chicken poop on the goat.

We moved the goats to their "new" pen (more grass & weeds to eat still) and although they don't sleep in the same barn now, the chickens do end up by the goats during the day.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/dustyraven13/100_0777.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/dustyraven13/100_0778.jpg
What a couple of great pictures! you goat has beautiful colors..and the chicken is pretty too! :rock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts