Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
You folks surely would not have wanted to eat pork in the 1800's. An egg is an egg.
Unless I know who raised it, I don't want to eat pork now.

We lived near a CAFO before. It was an abysmal place. The people who raise animals like that should be horsewhipped.

Reactions: altair and Danaus29

·
Registered
18 Posts
Store eggs are cheaper that feed and your time. Most people cant tell the difference between home eggs and store eggs. Now my city kids sold fresh eggs at $12 a dozen from 8 Baltimore city back yard hens. Tells you something about city people i guess.
Most can't tell the difference? What? It's pretty darn obvious, unless the store egg is "pasture raised."

·
Registered
521 Posts
CAFOs are here to stay---you can complain all you want, but there are not enough farmers in the world to feed our population without them. Conditions vary from one CAFO to another, but they all use essentially the same methods adapted to the animals they feed. Pigs at the sale barns here sometimes bring very little because only a few now know how to feed or butcher. Cattle almost all go to feed lots now--There are local butchers, but I have noticed that if you use one of them you pay far more for your beef/pork than if you buy at a good store. I know of only one man who can do his own butchering, and he has invested in a big walk in cooler. He grew up in Alaska, so he learned to butcher at home.

Attributing human characteristics to animals, such as "personality" is a common thing with people who do not have to deal with survival---dogs, cats, chickens were once "farm tools" and food rather than pets. My wife has ensured the safety of some of my geese by naming them and talking to them so that they turn and look at her when she addresses them. She thinks they "know" her when in fact all they notice is that she is looking directly at them as would a predator.

Belly aching about the state of the world does no good. If you cannot eat store-bougjhten foods, go to the country and raise your own---and live with the vagaries of weather, animals, feed prices and fortune. I have noticed that corn is way up this year---almost twenty cents per pound here.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
CAFOs are here to stay---you can complain all you want, but there are not enough farmers in the world to feed our population without them. Conditions vary from one CAFO to another, but they all use essentially the same methods adapted to the animals they feed. Pigs at the sale barns here sometimes bring very little because only a few now know how to feed or butcher. Cattle almost all go to feed lots now--There are local butchers, but I have noticed that if you use one of them you pay far more for your beef/pork than if you buy at a good store. I know of only one man who can do his own butchering, and he has invested in a big walk in cooler. He grew up in Alaska, so he learned to butcher at home.

Attributing human characteristics to animals, such as "personality" is a common thing with people who do not have to deal with survival---dogs, cats, chickens were once "farm tools" and food rather than pets. My wife has ensured the safety of some of my geese by naming them and talking to them so that they turn and look at her when she addresses them. She thinks they "know" her when in fact all they notice is that she is looking directly at them as would a predator.

Belly aching about the state of the world does no good. If you cannot eat store-bougjhten foods, go to the country and raise your own---and live with the vagaries of weather, animals, feed prices and fortune. I have noticed that corn is way up this year---almost twenty cents per pound here.
In a word...

Bull cookies.

Are you aware of how CAFOs are run? That the "buffer" land surrounding the CAFOs is enough to sustainably raise the animals, but not the most expedient?

There was a time when there were more farmers, and plenty of food. And the fact remains that we can, indeed, properly produce more than enough food to feed the world.

Of course, that would necessitate the removal of corrupt governments that block food getting to its appropriate destination.

Food in this country is artificially cheap. Too much of it is garbage, with precious little nutritive value.

In a LOT of areas, the local butchers are overrun with business because people do NOT want CAFO raised meat. They pay local producers a good price, and they pay the local butchers a fair price for processing. That is the case here.

I refuse to eat food that will be detrimental to my health.

I WILL talk about it - I am NOT complaining or belly-aching, I am stating plain fact - and it is never wrong to speak truth.

If you choose to eat carp, that is your choice. Do not accuse me of "complaining" and "belly-aching" because you're defending your poor choices.

Reactions: altair

·
Registered
521 Posts
Poppycock!!!!! There is NEVER enough buffer land around a CAFO to raise the animals as they would live naturally. In most cases the CAFO operators have to haul off the litter, the manure and dead animals and spread them on surrounding farm land or pasture just to be rid of the waste. The people who OWN the land being fertilized so sometimes pay substantial sums, most for transport, some for the fertilizer itself. Dead animals have to be buried--the people who run chicken houses have to "cruise" them regularly.

I know of one egg operation that regularly sells "spent" hens for as little as $2---Farmboy Bill has seen that operator killing spent hens and grinding them into fertilizer---sometimes not even the chicken soup market can absorb such quantity.

Pigs as well; Sows are confined and the waste has to be removed. Again, there is NEVER enough buffer land to raise that number of animals efficiently. Even if small farmers were willing to work for peanuts they could not raise pigs, or any other animal, as efficiently as a CAFO.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Further---in th case of cattle, the CAFO"s are feed lots---none breed cattle. The feed lot may hold several thousand animals and cover many acres with trucks hauling in fed and trucks hauling manure out. They are not pretty things---they look like any farmer's feed lot multiplied a thousand times. Now, it takes anywhere from two and a half acres to twenty five acres to run a cow in this country, the best and most productive land in the S. and SE of the country, the poorest out in W. Texas, New Mexioc, lAz, Nevada. If you were to try to fatten those CAFO calves on the range we'd never eat beef. Those ranges are where the calves COME from---there is no more room there for them. If you leave the calves on the range to grow out you cannot keep the cows they came from.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Well, @Macrocarpus, you are obviously an expert. Why in the world did I even dream that I could ever bring up anything of value to a conversation on the subject, because you are no doubt the be-all and end-all authority on all matters dealing with livestock.

/s

Picture frame Rectangle Gesture Font Art

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dealing with opinionated people of little expertise has been my life work. Opinion unsupported by fact is worthless. If you have some data to suggest that we could feed this country and export food as we do without CAFO's,. PONY IT UP!!!!! We dp mpt even have enough people on farms, large or small, to do what you suggest.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Dealing with opinionated people of little expertise has been my life work. Opinion unsupported by fact is worthless. If you have some data to suggest that we could feed this country and export food as we do without CAFO's,. PONY IT UP!!!!! We dp mpt even have enough people on farms, large or small, to do what you suggest.
LOL!

You're calling me opinionated?

Plant Art Cartoon Recreation Leisure

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
And woefully uninformed as well.
LOL!

And you would know this how?

Ah... I am now going to go hit the ignore button. You've become tiresome.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts