Chickens and goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by squirrelgirl, May 7, 2006.

1. squirrelgirl

squirrelgirl Active Member

I have read in some posts that people have chickens with goats so they help cut down on the worm population. My question is, do the chickens stay near the goats or are they rotated through the pasture after the goats have been moved? About 7 years ago we had some brush eating goats with some chickens near them, they were not in the same pen but the chickens would fly over scratch through the droppings and then fly back to their area. In a short time we had goats to start dying. An older farmer told us it was because the chickens were there and it made the goats sick because of worms. That if you had chickens anywhere near goats you had to feed them special food to keep them from getting sick and dying. Could someone help clear this up for me. We have dairy goats now on different land (moved 4 years ago) and chickens scratch around far from our goats because we are worried that the some thing might happen. But in most grass fed info I have been reading suggests that chickens rotat after other animals so they can scracth through droopings to cut down on worms and help clean it up in general. We also have a few cows. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Woodroe

Woodroe Well-Known Member

I have 9 chickens and 4 goats and they all run in the same fenced area (about 1 acre). They all get along well and no trouble. I do worm the goats every few months though, just in case.

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I let my dairy goats, geese, guineas, ducks and chickens all roam together and have done so for years. Outside of precautionary measures of making sure hay is kept clean and goats are wormed and powdered for insects every so often, there has been no problems whatsover. Actually, when the flies are bad, the geese follow the goats around catching those big flies that are trying to land on the goats; so, there has been an advantage for us to have them roam together. (They do have separate sleeping pens and housing.)