Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning to do chores, and found a complete chicken massacre! Everyone of my Buff Orpingtons was dead. Two roosters and about 15 hens. It looks like a bomb went off, all you can see is feathers. This has been my own "closed" flock for almost five years. I cut way back this fall and only kept the ones that were killed last night so I could start hatching again in Feb. Everyone of these birds had been hatched here on the farm. Something ripped a hole in chicken wire almost 12 inches wide. First it tore right through the canvas curtain, and then through the chicken wire. It must have drug birds off because I can only find 3 or 4 carcusses. There was quite a blood trail around the opening and on concrete below. I am just sick. These were kind of my pets and took great pride in this flock. I am not sure I want to start over with new. My biggest concern right now is protecting the turkeys and ducks, so I guess I had better get back to work on that now.

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
Sounds like the work of dogs. You better check around your neighbourhood to find out who has dogs running loose.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Even though they are "just chickens", they have personalities, don't they? We have had similar losses a few times, though not our entire flock. Hope you can find out what happened.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss :( you must just feel so devastated and violated. I sure hope you can find out what happened.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
This happened to us once many yrs ago. We have never allowed other people's dogs to be loose since that time. "Oh, you brought your dog, here's the chain." We are getting ready to build a new pen and now have coyotes bad so it will be a stout pen!

·
Registered
659 Posts
So sorry for the loss. It stinks big time. We only had two hens and a rooster but the neighbor dags got a hen and the stupid rooster dyed of fright. LOL Only on hen remained. She was roosting.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
So sorry for your loss!! Do you have any eggs to save your bloodlines? Plenty of people have hatched eggs even after they've been in the fridge for a week. Nothing to lose anyway. The loss of the birds is awful enough, but all your 5 years of breeding.. <<<hugs>>>

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I am so sorry. I think we have all been there at one time or another. I have lost more than a dozen at a time more than once..
and I vote dogs as well!!
Nothing makes a bigger mess of it than dogs! Being that it is just for 'fun' and not for food and survival.
A **** etc.. won't decimate the entire place like that.
I hope you catch the cute and cuddly pooch that did it!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Similar thing happened to us one day. We came home from church and saw two massive dogs had broken into our very secure (or so we thought) chicken pen. They had killed over 20 chickens and only our super mean rooster survived. Unfortunately for the dogs they were still in the pen when we came home.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know about dogs, but we had a coyote out here the other day. He was walking around like he owned the place. Before I could get out there with the gun he was gone. I have never seen a stray dog around, I guess that doesn't mean there is not.

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
I wish you were closer! I'd give you a few of my Buffs.

-Joy

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I think a coyote would have entered, taken what he wanted, and left. Dogs hunt for fun. The only time my chickens and ducks have ever been safe is when they are behind electric fencing.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How awful! I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Is there anyone you might have sold some of your stock to that you can contact if you decide to start up again? You know, at least keep the same lines you had.

I hope you find the intruder.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry! We had this happen this year too!
lost over $3000 worth of young turkeys in one night!
the work of 2 wiener dogs and two med sized mutts.

Oh the mess and the frustration!!
Call the sheriff and make a report.

this way you have a record, even if you don't know who did it now...
if and when you catch a neighbors sweet Fido in your pen again you have history,
they will be back!

good luck and sorry again!

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened. We experienced the same thing early this spring, losing every chicken. Now we have two strands of 3,000 volt hot wire fence in front of the chicken wire. We're pretty sure it was our neighbor's dogs, who still come around at night (I see their tracks in the snow), but they stay clear of our 'electric' chickens now. Don't give up. We started again and you should too!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
sorry to hear this -

Question for all of you who've lost flocks.....do you have dogs? do they stay in at night?
I ask, because we have a flock of chickens in an electric fence - we have a dog that we let out periodically through the night & he usually barks & run after something -

I wonder if he helps keep the place guarded a bit or what your experience is....

THANKS -
reading your stories makes me nervous & just sick to my stomach -
I'm so sorry for all of your losses -
I know it's par for the course sometimes - it's just awful -

1 - 20 of 59 Posts