Chicken Tractor is done!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Aug 12, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I don't know if this worked...but here's a couple pictures. Think they are spoiled????? :)

Coop Front The fence is loose on top because I have to figure out how to make the door raise and lower. Thinking rope and dowel rod!

Coop end
    I still have to finish the painting. It'll say "TREAT YOURSELF TO THE BEST" in white at the bottom yet. Note the windows. They are real glass with screens behind them. It looks funny to see the chickies looking out the windows in the morning before I open the door for them!

I just got the 21-week-old hens on Tuesday, and got 6 eggs in the last 2 days from 4 hens! Seems like they've settled right in!

Chris

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you-the pics didn't work for me!

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Links worked fine for me. Your chickens are going to get spoiled in that. :sing:

4. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful coop! Something you might consider is using welded wire instead of chicken wire next time. Raccoons and dogs can tear right through chicken wire. It only keeps chickens in--doesn't protect them.

I painted my wire black on my new tractor. If you paint the wire black or green, it doesn't block your view as much. You can see your birds better.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it easy to move? How will you do it. Where will it move around? On the lawn? I want one!!!

6. cc-rider

Oops....yes, it is moveable. We still need to put the wheels on the opposite end from the handles. At this point, I can move it myself, but it is awkward. The back corners catch on the ground.

It's heavier than would need be. My son used "architectural" shingles on it...which are heavy, and the nesting boxes are wooden and take up the whole one side inside. I would have used plastic dishpans to save weight, but I didn't want to ruin his enthusiasm in building it.

I live on a double lot (110X130) in town. So, yes, I have it on the lawn and just move it daily! Boy, they can tear up a yard fast!!!!!

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Every time I try to look it says you exceeded your bandwidth.

8. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Where did ya find tobacco chewing chickens at? Looks real good.

9. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

That is the cutest thing I've seen all day! Love the white picket fence!

hollym

10. Turalura

Turalura Well-Known Member

CC,

You say you live in town.The town I live in will let us have rabbits and also dogs as big as a pony but no chickens. Did you get a special permit?

I couldn't see pics; site said access will be available in 1 hour.

Turalura

11. Mary Dooley

Mary Dooley Member

That is so cute. I used plastic milk bottle crates for my nest boxes. I just filled them with hay. They are very light weight. However, I don't know if you can still get them. Mine are several years old.

12. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I had been reading about chicken tractors for when I move to a farm. The picture in my head was just like what your son built. I think it looks great.
    Nice job Son.

13. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

give that boy an extra helping of chicken and dumplins!! boy tha is one nice lttle shack. can't see any body complaining about the chicken house. tah boy has a carrer ahead of him in building, dog houses garden sheds and other smaller buildings sell very well here and dont look half as good!!!!

14. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Evidently you have angered the network gods because they have limited your capacity allotment. I would love to see this when it comes back on-line.

15. cc-rider

See if this works any better..... I switched servers, I think.
    Actually, this is a word document, has an extra picture, and describes the picture. Might be better anyway! If you get an "authenticity" screen, or whatever, hit 'cancel' and it will bypass it.

Chris

16. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I saw the pics. VERY VERY cute! Very.

17. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Can someone help Bret. He seems to be lost and can't find the pictures. He wants to know if his chicken tractor can have have two bicycle rims with shiney chrome.

18. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Looks real nice -- good job.

Does it have a floor in it?

19. cc-rider

Yep, I'm pretty proud of my son.... I can't get over the precision and care.

No, it doesn't have a floor, except the coop part has the cross-braces in case I want to add netting. At this point, I don't think I want to.... I want them to be able to eat the bugs in the grass IN the coop, too.

Is there a benefit to having a floor? I didn't want to THINK about having to get in there to clean it!!!!! :)

20. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

That's why I was asking, It didn't look like you would have a way to clean it.
    Problem with no floor though is an animal can dig under it. dog, raccoon, weasel, porcupine, fox, wolf etc.