Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted about doing this before, but I just get so excited...I have to share again!

Every once in a while, I take my cute little Mantis tiller out to the chicken run and till up the top 3 or 4 inches. I then add that beautiful stuff to the compost pile or directly to the garden. Every fall, I add 15 or 20 bags of leaves to the run (my neighbor picks them up for me in her Jeep when she sees them out by the road). This keeps the run from getting muddy in the winter and gives the chickens something to scratch around in.

So...last night, I tilled a little area and top-dressed the peppers and tomatoes with a couple of inches of goodness and added a bunch to the raspberry patch. I'll be tilling and hauling some more as soon as sun goes down a bit this evening. I know I'm weird, but it's just so fun to harvest all that fluffy compost!

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just rained here a little while ago and now all of that stuff really looks good! How sad that I'm giddy over composted poo.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
That's not sad at all! Shoot, I'm giddy for you! And am now second-guessing my decision to do the chicken tractor thing with my new girls... ;)

Diana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts