chicken pox and goat milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Deb&Al, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi, i'm hoping somebody can tell me what you would do. i posted here, rather than the cooking forum, because i know the folks here have goats.

i get raw goat milk from a mennonite family down the road. their children have chicken pox. their daughter who is the milker has the chicken pox, but not a bad case, only a couple of "pox" on her face.

would you feel comfortable drinking the milk? i get four gallons every two weeks.

my husband and i had chicken pox when we were kids. we're in our 40s now.

i didn't know they were sick until i knocked on the door and went in while they were getting the milk out of the refrigerator. i didn't say anything about the milk being okay to drink.

by the way, they are using it.

debbie

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If you've already had chicken pox, then I wouldn't worry. Sure wish my 3 youngest would get them!

3. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

i would not drink the milk, to much risk i think you can get the pox more than once, as an adult i think they say the adult version is a bit dangerous check on webmd for more info in that. is there an alternative for milk? if so i would concider for a couple of weeks. i hope my oppinion help you.
    jarred

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You normally will not get chicken pox again if you had a good case as a child. If you had a mild case as a child, it is possible. Shingles is the adult version that is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. My doctor has told me that you can not get shingles from someone with chicken pox. Also, you get them from contact with the actual person & not something they have touched. I have exposed my youngest, 3 times all day around kids that had them & they still haven't caught them. I think the risk would be very, very small.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I hav had chicken pox, three times, and sop has my older brother. no do not drink the milk, dump it, and don't get more until everyone is well.

6. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

thank you all for your responses. two said yes and two said no. i think i will err on the side of caution and dump the milk.

by the way, just out of curiosity, can chicken pox infect the goats?

debbie

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Since you have gone into their home, you have already been exposed. For me, personally, this would not be an issue. I was very glad for all of my children to have chicken pox, and it didn't even scare me that four of them had it while I was pregnant. I know that some people do get it more than once, because it happened to my sister's children. But if you were going to get it again, which imo is unlikely, you would already be exposed. In two weeks, you'll know.
    mary

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yep like Mary, an non-issue. If the milking routine is soo unsanitary that you are worrying about chicken pox, than what about all the time you don't know she has a cold, the flu, herpes cold sores etc. And just another reason that if I was purchasing milk from someone I would not purchase from someone who hand milks.

If my children did not have chicken pox when I picked up the milk, and they where not with me to catch it, I would change my clothes, wash my hands and the milkjugs carefully. There are times of the year, like now, that I would not want the grandboys to catch Chicken pox! Vicki

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

somehow i can understand that you wouldn't buy from somebody who is hand milking if there are no clean sanitare conditions. but i think i wouldn't buy any milk if it's dirty there. think about all the germs in the milking machine. yugs :(
    from somebody with clean hands and clean barn i wouldn't mind to buy milk if it is hand milked.
    chicken pox is another story. i don't think goats can get it. also it is a very fragile virus that is easily destroyed with heating the milk.
    susanne