chicken poop

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CrazyLadyMs, Feb 14, 2004.

1. CrazyLadyMs

CrazyLadyMs Member

I have 6 chicks in a cage and use hay on the bottom. Could I use this hay as a mulch? Will it burn my plants? Just wondering.

Katy

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Chicken poop is considered "hot" and it can burn your plants But I would use it in your garden, just not right on the plant area. You might want to put it in the rows or till it in first. You can compost it in your compost pile too, hay and all.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I scatter my hen house cleanings VERY thinly, just before it is supposed to rain, and it works out well. I let the rain dissolve the nitrogen and soak it into the soil before the sun can break down the good stuff.

Mind, you STILL have to fertilize because the nitrogen will be gone in a matter of weeks, but it is a great way to use up the poop.

Now, I bed my birds down on dried lawn clippings or shavings, so I can scatter it with just a toss of the shovel. I don't know how well that will work with straw.

4. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Since this thread is about chicken poop I will ask another question. Or more to the point clarify to myself what you wrote. You are saying that we cannot use poop directy on seedlings but it is ok to till into the ground where we are planting seeds, or should we wait to plant in that spot? I will be planitng seeds as well as cabbage and broccoli seedlings before very long. Will it be ok to plant those seedlings if I have tilled chicken manure into the soil? I have both fresh and composted. I have the stuff on the bottom of the chicken house floor that we will be cleaning out pretty soon as well as last fall's pile that we put to the side so we could use it this spring. So, help me understand, I probably need it in simple terms *LOL* I just don't want to burn my crops up. Oh, btw there is a lot of straw mixed in with the manure as we layer it in the hen house. I don't know if it will make any difference. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

5. When I had my chickens I would clean out the coop in late winter and spread it over my garden.(30 X 60) Then I would till it all under (straw and poop) and it never seemed to burn my crops up. But if you have veggies already growing and then spread chicken poop over your garden it will probably burn them. Whereas my way the manure had a little time to break down into useful plant foods.

6. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Why not just use the composted poop this year and let the "new" stuff sit a while? I have sread "hot" manure directly on top of the garden, but only in the fall, then tilled it so it would mellow over winter. It's not worth risking the seeds/seedlings by making a mistake.

7. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

I'd use the fresh chicken doopah+straw shallow tilled into the walk areas (keep weeds down) and the composted around the beds.

Or, consider raising rabbits - they have a cold manure. I'll put a scoop of rabbit doopah in the hole when transplanting.

8. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

Wow! Just learned a new name for rabbit manure or bunny berries as my kids call them. Rabbit doopah sounds just as much fun...any more variations? :haha:

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

My kids call them bunnies balls or rabbit raisens... Leave it kid to come up with a new name for poo LOL