Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zone 9, Central Florida
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just picked up 6 yards of chicken manure, the real stuff , Making "Chicken Tea" Tommy a friend picked up two five gallon buckets of the poo yesterday. he's going to put in a burlap bag put it in a plastic barrel fill with water and make Chicken Tea ?. he laughed and said don't use a glass because it may look like tea but the taste mite not be the same, so here's my poo questions and my poo thoughts to consider, Just Gardening - Guilt Trip
# 1. will this stuff be too hot pouring directly from a watering can ?

# 2. should I add some Liquid Iron ?

# 3. Take some lettuce sets and run a test ?

Oh the barrel is ready with a hose bib install, I will add pictures of the step by step process, tomorrow as I will be putting it all together this afternoon, Oh the neighbors say they can't smell a thing , maybe thats after we shared our Lettuce , Just Gardening Guilt Trip

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
We try not to spray manure-based tea on leafy vegetables, instead use a compost-based tea, just Hubbies preference.

We often mix our Chicken and Rabbit poo together, and throw in a little compost for our basic tea. Believe me, it works wonders.

In my opinion, kicks miracle grows tail, and have finally convinced our neighbor to give it a shot this year.

How much are you producing? We use a 55 gallon barrel for ours and sometimes for really "potent" items a 20 gallon or so. Husband is working on a mesh stainless steel box to use instead of bags, so will try that this year.

We also have used a air pump, but didn't see any real difference so dropped that step. Just be sure that you label it good.....

·
Zone 9, Central Florida
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tommy, my Chicken Pooo Leader (his Idea) says to put brick in bag fill with the Poo and tie an old fish stringer(think ill use a small rope) to the top and when ya pass her by give it a couple of tugs (I don't know why he caller the barrel/bag a her and Didn't Ask Thank-You) , The barrel I will be using looks like 45-55 gallon drum the Plastic type, Just Gardening Guilt Trip

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
I think I'd use it to water the ground around the plants, not get it directly on the plants. Maybe once or twice a week, not everyday. That's gonna be some PO-TENT stuff!!!! :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts