Chicken Pluckers--Automatic

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mid Tn Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone tried one of those chicken pluckers that you put as a drill bit in your drill? How do they work?

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

There was a thread about chicken ;luckers sometime back, and a couple people discussed using the drill inserted type with varying results. Try checking through the archives.

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I want a whizbangchickenplucker! just cause I like the name!

4. inc

inc Well-Known Member

sounds nasty

5. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

That was me. And they told me it was at Cabela's. I went to the site - need to enter poultry plucker in the search and you will find it. I bought it but haven't tried it yet! It fits on a regular drill.

6. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I remember reading a story of someone trying it on a duck in his DW's kitchen. Didn't turn out well from what i recall. The plucker worked, but the clean up was a (fill in the blank).

7. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

for our operation I can't justify the cost of a plucker and I doubt a drill mounted one could ever keep up with me or my wife. A good scald along with proper timing for feather development (while alive) and it takes next to no time to pluck a bird.

Now if someone were going to give me one I like the idea of a wizbangchickenplucker for sure...sign me up!

8. pointer_hunter

I thought about building one and then renting it out to people when they needed one. It should pay for itself in a short time.

9. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

10. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

How much a bird do you think you would charge? for me $1.00 per bird would add 25% to the cost of the animal...to high for me but if you charged $0.50 a bird would it be worth renting to me for $25.00 when I butcher 50 birds. Accounting for gas and travel time ect....and you still have to scald!

11. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

12. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We barter with one of our milk customers to use their plucker. They bought it at an estate sale for $50 and we trade 3 gallons of milk for each day we use it.

With the plucker we can butcher a chicken, start to freezer, in a touch over 2 minutes; by hand it's more like 10 minutes per bird.

We do about 300 birds a year so it's a good deal for us.

13. pointer_hunter

I just figured the only reason I don't raise hundreds of birds is the plucking. If someone had one I could rent or trade, I may just up my numbers.

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Do the brain poke and the feathers come easily without scalding. It wouldn't be worth the bother for just a few birds, but if I were doing lots of broilers to sell, I would like to have one of the tub ones. I usually skin the birds anyhow, because we don't eat the skin.

15. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Yeah I remember that, but it was in his kitchen! And he got it caught in the garbage bag and the bag spun right out of the can! I can imagine the mess. I'll use mine outdoors. :D

16. Dillydally

Dillydally New Member

Hi everybody, I just finished plucking my turkeys with my own version of the whizbang plucker. Works like a charm. I can pluck 4 chickens or 2 turkeys, naked, in about 15 to 25 seconds. My ducks need several attempts but it sure speeds up the process. I'd love to learn how to do ducks more efficiently! Anybody? Dal

17. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

How much did it cost you to build? Seems expensive for the parts...

18. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

Figure I've got about $200 - $250 invested in my whizbang. Fingers were probably the most expensive part. Shipping for the motor (bought on ebay)was actually more than the motor cost but was still cheaper than going to TSC and getting a new one.

19. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

In the Jan/Feb 06 Countryside magazine they are going to have an article on making your own chicken plucker.

20. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I have about $300 in mine. Motor was the most expensive part, but I found a good used one for $75. I also used a gear box instead of the big pulley. Picked that up on ebay for $30. I don't do nearly as many birds as you do Fin and I figure mine has paid for itself already in the time saved. We went from 5 to 10 minutes per bird to 25 seconds to do 2. On top of that we dont have to singe now either, the birds come out pretty and polished. Just have to pick off a couple pin feathers here and there.

Shane