Chicken injury - should I do anything?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by brumer0, Feb 8, 2017.

1. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

Hi,

This is the neck of my 7 month old golden laced polish hen. She disappeared for a few days. I thought I lost her to a hawk. Two nights (maybe 3) she was gone and then I found her trying to get back into the property through some field fencing. She got attacked by something. I just realized what's happening here on the back of her neck: she has a piece of flesh hanging off, even feathers are attached to the flesh mass. Its been 3 days since she's been back and haven't administered antibiotics but did give her electrolytes and isolate her on her return for recovery. She is behaving like a normal polish: loud and skittish (that's how my 4 polish act, including my rooster).

Should I do anything or be concerned with the way her neck looks? It's pretty disgusting.

Thanks!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1486594245.716828.jpg

2. cityfeet

cityfeet Active Member

I hardly know enough about this but is it possible to bandage it to hold the skin in place? I don't know if it would heal over like ours would but it may keep it clean?

Without knowing what you keep your chickens for I'll just share that one of ours got its leg broken and we tried to "help" it. At this point I don't know what I was thinking (as if I could do something) because it ended up getting infected and dying. In hind sight I should have just put it out of its misery and saved the meat

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I'd spray it with a topical antiseptic and maybe try to remove some of the feathers from the wound.

If you can get it clean you may want to wrap it loosely with gauze or Vet Wrap to keep out dirt and flies

Give her oral antibiotics too

4. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Keep her away from the other birds.

CountryMom22 likes this.
  5. brumer0

Thank everybody. I put her on antibiotics and isolated her. She is doing well and ready to be back in the mix of the flock.

CountryMom22, Lady89 and nehimama like this.
  6. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Glad she did well.Might need to make a chicken coat with high neck collar.

7. brumer0

Update: I went to take her off antibiotics this morning (still keeping her isolated) and noticed she had blood all over her head. I think she scratched at the flesh that was hanging off (although healing very very well). I feel I have two options: euthanize the bird or cut the flesh chunk completely off. Thoughts? How would I even numb the area when I take a knife to the back of her neck or is that something to even be concerned with? She's 8 months old and has plenty of spark left but I also don't need a bird that needs constant attention...

Euthanize or snip it?

Thanks

8. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

If she's not a real important bird, I'd axe her unless you are willing to keep her isolated until she's completely healed. If she goes back in the flock with any sort of injury, they are going to pick at her. You could try trimming it up (scissors?) and daubing on something like Blue-Kote or anti-pick, but it might not help her in the flock, depending on how bad it is.

9. PrincessFerf

PrincessFerf Enter farm name here

When I've had injuries to my flock like that (and even worse than the picture you shared), isolating her for at least 2 weeks until the hole heals up and is closed is the best.

I don't think she scratched at it, I would guess that the other chickens pecked at her until she bled.

I have used Neosporin (without the pain relief ingredient) + Blu Kote with very good success. Isolate her until the wound is totally closed. While healing the feathers will begin to grow back, too.

I have used vet wrap to keep the wound loosely covered (mostly to keep dirt and other things out of the healing wound) with mixed results.

I wouldn't both snipping the excess skin off just yet. Let her do some healing first.

CountryMom22 and Lady89 like this.
  10. brumer0

Just wanted to put an update. She definitely picked off the chunk of flesh which is good bc I bought all kinds of stuff to do it myself. After a few weeks of antibiotics she is all back to her crazy self (these polish chickens are the most active breed ever)

CountryMom22 likes this.
  11. brumer0

After being what I would consider completely healed, so much that for the last 2 weeks I've had another polish hen and rooster w her in her pen so I can collect hatching eggs, she died.

Yesterday she was lethargic and panting. I checked her for mites and she did have some. She didn't a few weeks ago when I put the rooster in with her (this is the same time that I had my flock tested to become NPIP and AI neg, which I passed). So I dusted her w poultry dust and the other two birds in the same cage. I also checked for a lodged egg but didn't think she had one, although I've never dealt with such a problem.

Any thoughts? No other symptoms except a turn for the worst. This coop is separated by only chicken wire from the rest of my chickens, and this bird that died has been cooped up for almost 2 months due to her initial injury. I was going to let the other 2 birds out of that coop and put them in general population (because I was collecting the two hens eggs for incubation and now I have enough). Wouldn't want something to spread to other birds. My gut says that she never healed correctly and maybe had an internal infection that took over very quick (she was on antibiotics for 2 weeks after the injury). I would prefer to not dose everybody w antibiotics unless anybody else shows symptoms. Thanks for your thoughts!

12. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

With that big of an open wound she had, i wouldn't be surprised if it was just an infection that could not be stopped with topical applicants. A small amount of infection could have got blood born and ran its course which ultimately resulted in death.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the flock, especially due to the extenuating circumstances that happened to her

CountryMom22 and aart like this.
  13. brumer0

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I integrated those other 2 birds today and will be extra watchful for the rest of the flock.