Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just gotta ask....Does anyone else's chicken taste like tuna when cooked with cream of whatever soup, in a crockpot? I usually use breasts (boneless).

Every stinking time I try it or have it at someone else's house, it tastes like tuna!!! YUCK!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I guess I will have something else for dinner! I was just heading into the kitchen to throw some chicken in the crockpot for the first time ever.
I have an super busy day battoning down for the cold tomorrow and thought that would be the easiest way to do dinner... never mind.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I love chicken in the crockpot. I cook it several different ways and it never tastes like tuna. My favorite is chicken breasts with a can each of black beans and corn, a pint of salsa, and some chili powder, cumin and coriander. Cook it on low a few hours and serve over rice. YUM!

I never use canned soup though, as we avoid msg. I make a white sauce instead.

Maybe you're cooking it too long and it's chewy?

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only happens when it's cream of mushroom or chicken or whatever.

I do make chicken catchatori with tomatoes. And a spicy Mexican with rotel and peppers. Never had the tuna taste with those. Only with canned cream of chicken, etc.

No, it's never tough, just tastes exactly like tuna!! It's actually very tender.

DH & DS even asked where were the noodles, thought it was tuna casserole!!

My aunt has had this happen, too.

If I use the same ingredients in the oven, it tastes fine!

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
We cook chicken in the crockpot sometimes and I have never found that it tasted like tuna. I do have an aversion to canned cream-of-anything soup, so I don't use those very often. My biggest complaint about the crockpot chicken is that I don't like the texture of the meat as much as oven cooked chicken. But, I have a couple of recipes that result in really good tasting chicken and sometimes it is just nice tobe able to pop a chicken in the crockpot and not worry about it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do you use any other ingredents,ie,spices with it? It could be that those combose in a slow cooker bread down more and give it that taste. Just a thought. I use a lot of Garlic and a littel curry powder in mine. The curry powder inhances the chicken flavor.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I never cook chicken in a crockpot, 1/3 of all chickens have salmonella and crockpots don't cook fast enough.

I'm picky though; I taught restaurant sanitation in 3 states.

There's your answer. It's not tasting like tuna, it's tasting like salmon. Does anyones' sundried chicken taste like tomato?

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
I wash and dry a whole chicken. Then I stuff it with onions and celery mixed with salt and pepper. I put it in the crock pot and add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chicken broth.

One of my tricks to take the chicken out of the pot in one piece is to make two strips of heavy duty aluminum foil as long as the two sides and across the bottom of the pot, plus a bit more. I criss-cross them in the pot and put the chicken in the middle.

To make the strips, take long lengths of foil and fold them into 2-3 inches widths. ( I hope all that made sense.)

I think that it is the cream of whatever soup that give it that fishy taste. Try mixing the soup with some Pepsi regular soda-equal amounts- for a different taste.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts