Chicken feather mite virus?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Is this a real virus or urban legend kind of thing? Im speaking of a close relative claiming this is the culprit to another relative's cancer. I feel that other things could have contributed to the cancer(smoking, using cleaning chemicals daily as part of her job, etc) but having no expierence in this area I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts? I did a google search for it and didnt come up with anything familiar. TIA!!!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

There is a higher incident rate of some type of cancer in persons that work in chicken houses. I do not recall the type of cancer but I had an acquaintence that died some years back after quitting his job and going into the chicken business. Some people just cannot tolerate the conditions, mostly the amonia stench and the dust, inside a commercial chicken house.

3. In this situation, the relative did not have any acess to live animals except maybe the family dog. Didnt know that about working in that enviorment tho. Thats a good thing to know. You know I was told not to get the flu shot if I was allergic to eggs or feathers, I quess cancer from chickens would be possible.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

leukemia is the disease associated with poultry workers

5. You don't get some vaccines if you're allergic to eggs because the serum sometimes contains egg proteins (albumen). It has nothing to do with cancer.
    When people get sick, they (and the families) usually try to find something to blame it on so it's not their fault-perhaps due to their lifestyle choices. With cancer, though, it's not usually their or others' fault, unless it's related to smoking/chewing (lung, mouth, throat, etc.), alcoholism (liver), careless sex practices (cervical), or poor diet (all types). The blaming is typically part of the grieving process. Hopefully, it will pass.