Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed one of my hens’ eye is “swollen” shut. Her behavior is normal- moving, eating, and laying.

Anyone have any ideas? A lot of infections I googled are associated with irregular behavior- lethargy, stopped laying. Where like I said, as of now, there is not change in the hen other than her eye.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish these pics were a bit larger. Do I see drainage in that area? Swelling?
It appears that you can zoom in in the photo (on your phone at least). But no swelling. No drainage. It appears that this was relatively sudden- I didn’t notice it 2 days ago or so. Also, the is the #2 hen of the flock, and the #1 doesn’t mess with her. But could it possibly be an eye injury?

·
Banned
3,303 Posts
I had a rooster peck an eye out of a hen.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That pic still looks like there is swelling in the lower lid. But that said, if it's a scratch you can use one of the dry eye ointments to help ease her discomfort. Don't use plain water to rinse it out if you find you need to, use saline. I use saline for contact lense use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That pic still looks like there is swelling in the lower lid. But that said, if it's a scratch you can use one of the dry eye ointments to help ease her discomfort. Don't use plain water to rinse it out if you find you need to, use saline. I use saline for contact lense use.
Do you think it’s something else? Most common thing I saw was corzya, but it’s only one eye and her temperament hasn’t changed(yet at least). Any antibiotics you can recommend that I can get online or from a local feed store?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J
Just ordered VetRx from tractor supply

·
Expect the unexpected
2,150 Posts
I would use penicillin with a eye dropper down her throat. Just get her
beak open a little bit so you can drip the medicine down.
About 1/4 inch on the dropper. Make sure you shake the bottle well first.
Morning and then that evening. Wrap her in towel maybe. Or what I do is
like a tucking a football into my arm, so the legs don't scratch me.
Use the medicine at least several days till you see her starting to get better.
Use a wet cloth plain water, warm if you can but not necessary to clean the
area. Be gentle. A plain baby wipe is what I use. No perfume.
Isolate her. Keep her separate for awhile. She needs to be by herself.
Hard to tell but looks like under the eye might have a infection building.
It's very likely a respiratory infection.
I had a standard hen and a bantam do this, this past winter. Saved them both.

If you do put medicine in her and she is laying, then you can't use her eggs
for awhile. Not sure without looking at the label how many days.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
NO NO NO on vet RX. That stuff is crap and does nothing. And if you were planning on putting that in her eye I'm going to have to reach through the screen and shake you.

Do what I said, use the eye moisturizer treatment for dry eye. Give her a day or two. If things don't improve then think about antibiotics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO NO NO on vet RX. That stuff is crap and does nothing. And if you were planning on putting that in her eye I'm going to have to reach through the screen and shake you.

Do what I said, use the eye moisturizer treatment for dry eye. Give her a day or two. If things don't improve then think about antibiotics.
Definitely worse today. Looks like it’s affect the other side of her head- not her other eye but the skin. And he shut eye looks more swollen. Luckily was able to get amoxicillin from my neighbor. Found out dosage for mg/kg, just gave her first dose. Do you think I should administer 1x or 2x daily?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Could she have been stung by something? The fact it's spreading sort of points in that direction. You can try giving her Benadryl to see if that lessens the swelling.

A new pic a bit closer would be helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts