Chicken Disaster

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quint, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'm so <expletive redacted> mad I don't know whether to <expletive redacted> or go blind.

I came home late this afternoon and pulled into the yard and saw that the strong wind we had today blew a tree over and it smashed my chicken house. Ok that made me mad but what I saw in and around the wreckage sent me ballistic. I noticed my chickens laying dead around the yard. I then spotted a dog laying in the yard with several of my dead chickens around him and one in his mouth. We locked eyes and he took off with the chicken he was killing and broke full speed for the treeline. I jumped out of my truck and managed to get my rifle out and kill him before he reached the timber. I went to survey the damage at the chicken house and found only about 4 or maybe 6 chickens that looked like they died from the actual tree crushing the chicken house. The rest of them, 26 all together, had evidently been killed by either the dog I shot or another one. Every single chicken I had was either dead or mangled and nearly dead. I was simply seething. Which brings me to my question. You think one dog could kill 30 or so chickens in an afternoon or do you think he had accomplices? I'm thinking it was probably just the one dog but I suppose there could have been more. I'm going to keep my eyes open tomorrow and sweep the woods good and see if I can find any others. It was some sort of doberman rott looking mix that was in decent shape so I'm thinking it was a recent dumped stray or a neighbors dog though I didn't recognize it. Frankly I don't care. He is covered with lime and taking a dirt nap. If someone comes looking for the damn thing they can dig him up and the pay me for the damage he did, the cost of the rounds I used to kill him, the lime I used to cover him and my labor for burying him.

Looks like building a chicken house is on the agenda for this spring. Yet one more chore I really don't have the time to take care of but what else is new. Too bad they don't make pre-fab chicken houses. They don't do they? I'm really gonna miss fresh eggs and chickens.

Weird thing about the tree that crushed the chicken house was that it fell in the opposite direction that it should have fell considering which way the wind was blowing. It actually fell against the wind. I don't know how the heck that happened. Also it was alive last fall and looked perfectly healthy but the thing just broke off about 4 feet up the trunk. Just snapped. Never really know I guess.

Well crap. Life is too darn ridiculous. I'm going to bed. Maybe things will look better tomorrow.

2. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I can testify to one dog killing 19 chickens and 15 turkeys :rolleyes: so I kind of doubt he would have had accomplices. Dogs kill for the sake of killing unlike a predator that will usually only kill what it will eat.

Sorry about your chicken house and chickens.

Pre fab chicken houses..........What about a pre fab outbuilding/storage building or a chicken tractor?

3. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I think one dog did the dirty deed, too. I have dogs and chickens, and I know that mine would have taken advantage of that situation in a heartbeat, as would my neighbor's dog that happens by sometimes. I don't like him visiting, and I don't like my dogs visiting the neighbor, either, but sometimes it happens. Poor dog. Poor chickens. Poor Quint. I'm truly sorry for your loss. That's just a bad situation all the way around. I'm getting ready to move my chickens to a new (actually a true antique) log building on our family farm, and all day yesterday while that wind was blowing, all I could think was, "I need to put some new tin on that thing, 'cause with wind like this, that old roof could easily blow off, and there my chickens would be." You do the best you can, and try to prepare for everything, but sometimes you just can't.

When you feel better, check out these pre-fab chicken houses (if the link works):
    http://www.winecountrycoops.com/

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Yep, one dog could and would have done it. Dogs and foxes can live on carrion. They have it built into them to kill lots, and leave the bodies to rot. They can come back four weeks later, and get a feed out of long-dead carcasses. You can see them kill a whole lot of birds - far more than they can eat in one setting - because they can come back and chow down on them a lot, later on.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Well dang Don, thanks for clearing that up for me. I shot a fox last spring.. multiple times with a shotgun I was so peeved (we salvaged the tail).. because the !@#$%^&*! thing would kill in swaths. Not just take what it "needed" for dinner like the hawks.

And I'm with everyone else. One dog, easily, could have taken out your flock. Probably in less than 10 min if it were moving at speed. I know our fox decimated our flock in seconds.

6. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

So sorry for you loss. Yup, one dog could have done it. I had a neighbor who had a dog for a while that thought chasing chickens was fun. Then he found killing them was even more fun. Since her birds free range she had to make a choice, the dog found a new home. She had 5 other dogs at the time with no problems at all.

You could adapt any shed to be a chicken house, use an old abandoned travel trailer, disused cap from a PU lifted up a bit, let your imagination run wild. Or hold a chicken house raising and invite your neighbors, friends as us too and have a party.

Guess your experience willl make a lot of us think twice about which way a tree will fall and watch what is happening to our trees more carefully as they die and start to rot.

Wish I could offer you some fresh eggs and hope you soon have your own again,

PW

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh thats got to really P1$$ of the Pope.....

Good job on getting the dog....

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about your chicken house & especially your chickens.

10. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I am just REALLY glad you got the dog. Grrrr.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

That's awful! I'm so sorry. I remember how mad I was when the neighbor's dog tore up my little chicken coop and killed my guineas...all two of them.

When I was a kid we had a dog kill every chicken, turkey and duck on our property while we were gone for the afternoon. There were so many feathers on our hill it looked like it had snowed. He didn't last long once we returned. Daddy took care of him pronto.

12. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Hey Quint - where are you?

13. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Oh that bites big time!!!!! I am glad he is taking a dirt nap. You did the right thing. Hopefully your new house will be up soon.

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Well, I got up today and there were two more dogs out sniffing around the chicken house. Got one but the other made it to the timber. I got dressed and went tromping through the woods and managed to get him when he had circled back around trying to get back to the dead chickens. All 3 of them sorta looked the same so I'm guessing they were dumped. None of my neighbors have dogs like that as far as I know.

Got the things buried and got the tree cut up before dinner. I was tearing the remains of the chicken house down when my cousin drove by and seen the mess. He helped me salvage some of the windows and as much lumber as we could and we got it stacked up and covered. At least it is some lumber and windows I won't have to buy. I'm gonna leave some of the chicken carcasses unburied to see if there are any more dogs down there in the morning. I'm hoping I got them all. I'm just going to do that for one more night or I'll have every coyote in the county out there.

My cousin mentioned he has a neighbor that sells eggs and chickens. Nice old man and wife and they are pretty reasonable as far as prices go. I've got a source for fresh eggs and chickens now which I'm pretty happy about. I wasn't looking forward to going back to that grocery store garbage. He says they also sell milk and cheese sometimes too. I might buy some it if their place looks clean.

For those of you with varmint problems I can attest to the stopping power of CorBon .223 Tactical Loads with Sierra BlitzKing bullets. Those were some pretty big dogs and the rounds stopped them in their tracks. They are really accurate loads (at least in the AR-15s I shoot) and they have excellent terminal performance.

All in all it was a pretty decent day considering yesterday was one of those that makes you feel like the whole darn world is against you. Such are the trials of a homesteader I guess. Things usually look better the next morning when you hear the birds singing and a pink sunrise peeking over the trees. Makes it all worth it.

15. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

In one glorious, murderous afternoon -- absolutely. Good thing you shot it. Once a chicken-killing dog, ALWAYS a chicken-killing dog.

Tracy

16. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Excellent work Quint! Open sights or scope on that AR?

Wayne

17. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Sister and brother-in-law had most of their chickens killed by two neighbor dogs one afternoon while they were at our house. They drove up and found tons of dead chickens and paw marks all over!

Mike

18. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

We had the same problem after last years hurricanes. Storm flattened the coop, and although all 40 chickens and 9 chicks survived and we built a temp shelter, a dog or dogs got all the girls when we were away looking for some temp shelter for ourselves. Never did see the dog though. It did lead to a new rule though. Any dog but ours on our land dies. No questions asked.

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

The AR I used is an M-4 clone with a 16 inch barrel. It is what I use for "truck gun" duty. I'm using a Trijicon Reflex NSN scope at the moment. I swapped out the Trijicon ACOG I had on it because I wanted to try it on another rifle. For that kind of fast reflex type shooting at under 200 yards I really like those type sights. I have one of the EOTech holographic sights one of my other rifles and I think I like it better than either of my Trijicons. To me it is an improvement over iron sights but doesn't have the drawbacks of a scope as far as fast handling or target acquisition. Yeah, that 3x9 scope is good for shooting a deer standing still at 200 yards but it is awfully clumsy trying to shoot a coyote or dog running full speed through your yard 75 yards away. Snap shooting with a regular scope is something I just never got the hang of.

20. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Glad you got the dogs - I'm impressed with your shooting skills! Makes me realize that I probably need to go back to the gun range and then see about getting a license and a gun myself - I wouldn't have had that as a recourse like you did, and I hate the idea of needing and not having. Of course, I'm in the city, and discharging a firearm here (if you're caught, that is), will land you in big trouble.

About the tree - is it possible you had a small tornadic type event that just flat took the tree out? Even healthy trees can't stand against those type storms, and that might account for the direction it fell as well. Just a thought....

Pam :cool: <------ loves dogs, but would have killed those marauders too....