Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,889 Posts
I think the law has more serious things to do at this time.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
Dogs usually Kill for the fun---not eat their kill. Eating the tail end out sounds more like a wild animal. Dog could have killed then a buzzard or opossum started eating on it later???? A electric fence with ""Plenty of Joules"" will make the dogs not want to come back---that is if you want to do it the "nice" way. A 6ft high chain link dog kennel makes a GREAT Live Catch trap---the one I bought just for this problem was a 6ft x 12ft. Caught 13 dogs in it in a little over 2 weeks. You do what you want---But I have found out that if "I" loose every dog I have that I allow to run the neighbor hood ---I would Quickly Learn to keep my new ones I get confined to my Property so I do not loose them too! Its "MY" job to protect My Live Stock and I do that at what ever way I feel is needed. I get along with all my neighbors Good because I do not threaten them, try to tell them how to control their dog, I do not even mention to them that a dog killed a animal of mine!!

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
So how about if you are a single gal just trying to make the bills every month and you don't have money to put into making up for every neighbor's shortcomings?
What if you are trying to protect your livestock by whatever way you can afford?
This thread and another she posted sometime earlier indicate she had tried numerous methods and is about on her last nerve.
It is easy to project our own ideals upon someone else's circumstances, but it usually doesn't help much when they don't apply.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
So how about if you are a single gal just trying to make the bills every month and you don't have money to put into making up for every neighbor's shortcomings?
What if you are trying to protect your livestock by whatever way you can afford?
This thread and another she posted sometime earlier indicate she had tried numerous methods and is about on her last nerve.
It is easy to project our own ideals upon someone else's circumstances, but it usually doesn't help much when they don't apply.
Start with----if allowing the chickens to free range is Not working---stop them from free ranging---keep them "confined" to the protection of the chicken yard----at least until the problem is taken care of. That should help?

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Start with----if allowing the chickens to free range is Not working---stop them from free ranging---keep them "confined" to the protection of the chicken yard----at least until the problem is taken care of. That should help?
The properties are close together. Lots of issues regarding the neighbor. I won't speak for her but you can read this and her previous thread to understand this isn't a matter of communication and poor animal management on her part.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
The properties are close together. Lots of issues regarding the neighbor. I won't speak for her but you can read this and her previous thread to understand this isn't a matter of communication and poor animal management on her part.
I gave her several good tips, then you spoke for her basically---kinda telling me she can not afford these methods. Then I reply back to Just keep the chickens IN their protected chicken yard until the problem is taken care of so she don't loose any more---that shouldn't cost anything?? Then you reply back for her again that she has communicated with the neighbor-----That don't sound like it worked and is Not going to work---is it?? All I am saying is Protect the chickens---KEEP them in the protected chicken pen until the problem is fixed!! Mend the pen if needed---Keep the chickens safe. Solve the problem but not with the life of more chickens. I am Just trying to help her---Let her speak. Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
The OP lives with her mother, who is evidently a pacifist and doesn't want to allow anyone to handle problems that arise. The neighbor isn't the whole problem...mom is a big part of it.

I don't know how old the OP is or what the family situation is, but I would sure be taking a look at rectifying the mother issue before moving on to the neighbor issue. Makes sense to start in your own house

·
38,889 Posts
Oh, dear. I wasn't aware of the width and depth of the problems. Thanks for filling us in.

·
Premium Member
23,952 Posts
I am aware dogs kill for fun. They like to grab and chew on things that squawk and flop and run. The bird being partly eaten does not sound like a dog attack. That is why I said you have to have proof, without proof you simply don't know what got the chicken.

Many poultry keepers have found that if they want to keep their animals safe from predators and neighborhood dogs, they MUST build a better coop.

·
38,889 Posts
One summer, nine dogs went missing from the small town that adjoins my cattle pasture in south Texas. Five disappeared on one day.

None of my rabbits or my mother in law’s chickens were lost.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Near our daughter's house, a developer purchased several large parcels of ground from a farm and proceeded to slice them up into 5 acre rectangular slots. Not much more than 150' wide. He designed them long in order to save money on roads and infrastructure. He didn't want to put up homes behind them. This sounded great for a lot of people moving out of the city to 5 big acres. Not so much when you start owning dogs, chickens, goats, pigs, atvs, pushing manure, burning and otherwise living like you are in the country but as close to your neighbor as some are in a suburb.
She has heard of numerous issues between residents, which has caused a group to form and initiate rules and regulations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i had to work today , 7:45am till 4pm , had to do a few things after work. so didnt get home till 7pm .

came home to one of my chickens dead , on the outside of my fence. still on my property.

i know it was my neighbors dog, as i seen it snooping around my fence before, and witnessed it killing the neighbors chickens as well. its a french bulldog .. small little thing...

i dont know what i can do . her dogs run free. no supervision,

i want to go ask her to keep him put up , or keep an eye on him , but i know she will shrug it off "well your chicken was outside the fence and the dog did what dogs do " .. i took pics of the feathers and dead bird .. guts ripped out of the hiney .

my brother just wants to shoot the dog if it comes back onto the property, i feel like animal control should be called , they would have a field day with the situation over there. small fenced area for 60 chickens a goat , and a pig ..

i have quite a few animals , but they all have a purpose on the homestead.. she seems to just collect more , when she sees all my "cool critters "

aaaah what can i do !? i dont have that many chickens laying eggs , and she was one of my everyday egger ...
Pop it with a pellet gun next time it comes in your yard, or if your neighbor is beyond hearing distance, kill it and dispose of the carcass. I have had loose dogs kill as many as six at one visit. If you complain they will know it is you and could cause you worse trouble.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Lol, yep.
25 years ago I used to play cards at a guys house on Thursdays. His dad had died some years before and had left him the farm house, 10 acres and about 90 old rusty cars in front, along the side and in back. He was rabidly anti mowing so the grass turned into faux wheat. He left 300 acres to the other brother.
Well, other brother sold off his land and it became a large high end suburb. We used to kid him that the city was getting closer to him every week and pretty soon they aren't going to approve of his old place.
Sure enough, one morning he got a knock at the door. New codes and he wasn't grandfathered in, lol.
The very people they sold land to were now telling him what to do with his.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,696 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
i honestly had no idea you guys kept going on this , i never got emails for more posts...

lets recap on everything real fast. just in case

i live alone, not with my mother. but my mother is a die hard "do onto others as you want done to you" and "what ever it takes , get along with your neighbors" type person. im 25 years old. and my neighbors are terrible at animal management. any only have them for "fun" when i got goats, she said "those are cute, i want a goat." and so went and got her a "registered" pygmyXnigerian dwarf buckling. NOT knowing how to actually care for one. she even admitted to me when i was asking about him "yeah.. ill probably go take him for a walk so he can eat some grass" cause their chicken/goat/pig pen YES .. all those animals living together.... is just dirt. no grass in it. i informed her "goats dont eat grass much , they much rather leaves and bushes" and she rolled her eyes and said "its a goat .. they will eat ANYTHING.. "
i had to chase this buckling around the area cause he GOT OUT .. jumped through their shed, that was converted into a barn, window. when i asked what he was , she told me what his breed was , i told her mine, and how i REALLY dont want HIM near MY girls .. and she snapped saying "it will be fine ! he wont get out again ! hes a small goat, it wont hurt her if she gets pregnant anyways." (i was told by both the lady i got my goats off of , and my goat mentor , NOT to breed my goats to a pygmy , not a full not a half , not even a quarter pygmy .. bone structure is to bulky for a full breed Nigerian dwarf to deliver.) i asked her if he was a pet. she said yes .. then i asked if she was going to get him withered/fixed and she snapped again "i think its useless to get animals fixed, it takes their only purpose away" .. or something to that effect. at this time , bluebell my mama , was and actually still is nursing a kid. Hazel is still small.. and no where near ready to be pregnant. even though shes already had a few heats...

-----------------

when i got MY animals , the neighbors only had a small handful of chickens. now they have ... 40ish chicken, 1 goat , 1 pig, and 4(?) dogs . its like their trying to compete with me .... i have lets see... 8 ducks, occasionally 12 meat chickens being brought to good weight 1 pet eggless chicken.. (she just never laid eggs even when she got of age... but shes really entertaining. so i cant cull her.) 1 rooster, 6 layer chickens, and 5 chicks(pretty sure there are 2 baby roosters and 3 hens. roosters wont be staying.) and currently 11 rabbits. (6 regular rabbits and 5 babies more babies due near the 13th)

my WHOLE yard is chain link fenced in. all my birds are clipped. i have a fence within a fence to keep my goats, in case they jump the first one . nothing is electrified this is the first death that wasnt "natural causes" i may be assuming its my neighbors dog due to it always ALWAYS snooping around my fence. im ALWAYS chasing it away from my yard it cant get IN my yard just my parking spot(just a spot on my property big enough for 2 cars to park OUTSIDE the fence).. ive witnessed it killing and ripping bits of the neighbors own chickens ... i had a chicken get enough momentum to glide over the fence, and get stuck out there. there where feathers ALL over my parking lot from where it got beaten up and then killed... i know the whole "when you have livestock , you will have deadstock" thing .. but UGH .. she has only been laying for a month .. she has so much longer to go.

i live so close to a main road , and the interstate i havent seen any wild animals around... wild rabbits and some deer ...i know that dont mean they are NONE around .. but assuming, my neighbors let their dogs run free, like they NORMALLY do, you think the dogs would chase any wild critters off, MAYBE...most wild animals i seen, drag or carry their pray away. especially in busy areas like this , to much risk of being caught if they chose to eat on the spot.

idk guys .. im a goody two shoes.. i dont want to upset my parents by taking matters in "my own hands" but im sick of being a pushover letting my neighbors let their animals do what ever they want .. i have hit one of their dogs in the rump with a bb before. it was much bigger though , more intimidating , this one thats running around now is just a short little crap .. cute as heck .. but RUTHLESS to birds... what i REALLY wanna do is build a 8ft fence all around my yard so the neighbors cant even see me .. she sat back their the other day when i was butchering chickens .. WATCHING ME .. ITS FREAKING CREEPY...

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,696 Posts
21 - 40 of 55 Posts