Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had to work today , 7:45am till 4pm , had to do a few things after work. so didnt get home till 7pm .

came home to one of my chickens dead , on the outside of my fence. still on my property.

i know it was my neighbors dog, as i seen it snooping around my fence before, and witnessed it killing the neighbors chickens as well. its a french bulldog .. small little thing...

i dont know what i can do . her dogs run free. no supervision,

i want to go ask her to keep him put up , or keep an eye on him , but i know she will shrug it off "well your chicken was outside the fence and the dog did what dogs do " .. i took pics of the feathers and dead bird .. guts ripped out of the hiney .

my brother just wants to shoot the dog if it comes back onto the property, i feel like animal control should be called , they would have a field day with the situation over there. small fenced area for 60 chickens a goat , and a pig ..

i have quite a few animals , but they all have a purpose on the homestead.. she seems to just collect more , when she sees all my "cool critters "

aaaah what can i do !? i dont have that many chickens laying eggs , and she was one of my everyday egger ...

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
1. If you didn’t see it happen, you don’t “know” that the neighbor’s dog killed the chicken.
2. You can talk to the neighbor. Be polite. Express concern. Without evidence, don’t expect action.
3. You can call animal control. They will take a report. That may be all they do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. If you didn’t see it happen, you don’t “know” that the neighbor’s dog killed the chicken.
2. You can talk to the neighbor. Be polite. Express concern. Without evidence, don’t expect action.
3. You can call animal control. They will take a report. That may be all they do.
idk what else it could be then , it was still daylight , so wild critter wouldnt come around , especially with all the activity around my area.

i just know one of their dogs ate one of their chickens and died from choking, they replaced it with another puppy a week later, they currently have 4 dogs , which one ive already had a problem with. it grabbed MY leg and did some damage. talked to them about it , and its now tied up.well ... most of the time its tied up .. every time i see it running around , i feel like im not allowed to leave my house... this is frustrating. been wanting to get a security camera for a while , i just havent been able to afford it.

shes such a hard headed woman .. even if i did go over there and talk , she would probably start leaving the dog out MORE then she already does..

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Is this the neighbor with the billy goat that kept jumping thru the shed window to come over and visit your goats?

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Just a refresher question I guess, had your goat been making babies with her stock, your dogs eating her chickens and peeing on her porch couch, your husband refusing to pay them for work done, how would she have been responding?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she would make my life a living hell... but ya know . shes already doing that, and im not doing anything wrong.

i tell my mom whats going on , and she tells me to be a good neighbor and dont start anything or do anything i wouldnt want done to myself... but at the same time . i wouldnt let my animals run free like she does , i just had a dumb , clipped wing chicken get enough momentum to jump my chainlink fence.

i tell my brother and he goes "ILL GO OVER THERE AND TALK TO HER ! AND IF SHE DONT DO ANYTHING ILL LEAVE THE HEADLESS DOG ON HER PORCH" .. a little much in my opinion ... but he knows how hard i worked to raise my chickens happily and healthily.

i was thinking about tossing my dead bird over in her yard last night , and when i get back from work today , to go over and ask if she seen her... but i didnt ...

·
38,805 Posts
Electric net fence and a high powered charger along your property line.

Solves lots of problems.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Wild animals come around in the day so never assume what killed your critter if you don’t have proof.
Yes it sucks, but fence your animals in better if you aren’t home to watch them free roaming even if it’s on your property. When you get home from work let them out until dark.
The dog may stop coming by if there’s no excitement or treats.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
idk what else it could be then , it was still daylight , so wild critter wouldnt come around , especially with all the activity around my area.
Wild animals kill in daylight too.
Set a live trap and catch the dog every time it's on your property.
Set up an electric fence at it's nose height and it won't keep returning.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Problems with strays or unmanaged neighbor's dogs usually are resolved by taking them from your property to the pound. Fees to get them back seem to be a real incentive for people to grab hold of responsibility.
Unfortunately, it sounds like your neighbors would love a good feud with most anyone, and you are the type that doesn't.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Most places have rules requiring people to control their dogs. Put up a game camera. Get your evidence. Call the Sheriff. Better that than you and your brother dealing with any kind of fallout for shooting her dog. You never know who will decide to get involved if you take matters into your own hands. Not worth it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Y
i had to work today , 7:45am till 4pm , had to do a few things after work. so didnt get home till 7pm .

came home to one of my chickens dead , on the outside of my fence. still on my property.

i know it was my neighbors dog, as i seen it snooping around my fence before, and witnessed it killing the neighbors chickens as well. its a french bulldog .. small little thing...

i dont know what i can do . her dogs run free. no supervision,

i want to go ask her to keep him put up , or keep an eye on him , but i know she will shrug it off "well your chicken was outside the fence and the dog did what dogs do " .. i took pics of the feathers and dead bird .. guts ripped out of the hiney .

my brother just wants to shoot the dog if it comes back onto the property, i feel like animal control should be called , they would have a field day with the situation over there. small fenced area for 60 chickens a goat , and a pig ..

i have quite a few animals , but they all have a purpose on the homestead.. she seems to just collect more , when she sees all my "cool critters "

aaaah what can i do !? i dont have that many chickens laying eggs , and she was one of my everyday egger ...
You can go middle-of-the-road.

Go talk to her.

If she says "Dogs do what dogs do", let her know that homeowners do what homeowners do, and the dog won't be coming back home ever again.

Make it very, very clear that you or your brother will shoot the dog if it is found on your property again, now that it has a history of killing livestock. (You don't have to mean this if you don't want to, but this puts the impetus on HER to keep the dog contained.)

Take pictures of your chicken and report it to animal control just so that there's a paper trail.

Sorry that you are dealing with this. :( Sometimes there's just no easy way to coexist with a neighbor.

·
38,805 Posts
Not all rural or semi rural locations have laws and/or animal control. None of the rural homes that I have lived had either.

Either fence the offending critters out, or SSS.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
What GTX said about catching/trapping the dog then taking it to the pound works....I've done that. It gets expensive bailing the dog out after the second time.

An alternative if you know how to shoot is a paintball gun. It'll sting the dog and your neighbor will get warned.

And set up a game camera to show animal control who's doing what...

·
38,805 Posts
The original poster has been pretty clear. She doesn’t want to talk to the neighbor or do anything to get her riled up.

Electric net fence.

Reactions: aart

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Electric fence is about all you can do. You have to have proof the neighbors dog killed the chicken. Either video footage or eyewitness works but you have to prove their dog is the culprit.

But by the same line of thought, if the dog disappears they have to prove you are responsible.

If you don't want to make waves, you have to do a better job of keeping your chickens where they belong.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
If I recall correctly from a previous thread with photos, both property owner's homes, buildings and animals are near the property lines. You can about hit the buildings with a rock. The poster had to hang a tarp over a clothesline for privacy.
The neighbor is what is clinically described as a nutjob.
The meet and greet was over a long time ago, so patterns have been set.
Options by now are limited, but I believe most of the good ones are contained in the above posts.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Try the electric fence - that might solve it all without having to deal with the neighbor. And it would prevent predator loss too. But if that fails, send a note (and keep a copy). A text or email would be better, if possible. Maybe that can solve it all. But if not, then go with the photo proof (you might need to get a game camera). Don't make it your word against hers. Then let the law sort it out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts