Chicken coop/garden shed???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cheryl in SD, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We are going to build a strawbale chicken coop in the corner of our garden for the winter. The garden is fenced to keep the chickens safe during the winter. During the summer they can free-range, but we get coyotes through the yard at 9-10 in the morning (and again between 3-4 every afternoon) in the winter, so they will need to be penned. They can also fertilize my garden over the winter and eat leftover crops. We plan to build a summer chicken coop up near the barn next spring for them and let them back out to free-range.

The question is this...

Next spring could I move the chickens, clean the coop throughly and use it as a garden shed for the summer? If so we will go ahead and stucco the walls inside and out and build it like a spanish style small shed. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

2. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I think that is a good way to have a dual purpose shed. I do not have chicken at this time so I do not know if it is practical. It certainly sounds like a good idea!

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I'd keep the coop close/next to the garden. The chickens will eat all the bugs around the garden keeping the out of the garden. Can you build it with 2 chicken doors, one that opens to the garden for the winter and 1 that opens to outside the fence for summer free range?

4. Cheryl in SD

My dh was asking about that (putting it so it would open outside the fence in the summer, and perhaps just building it slightly bigger and divide it to make one end a garden shed.) This year I tried letting my chickens into the garden but they ate my produce! Left the bugs completely alone.

Cheryl

5. Cheryl, do you have enough room for 2 garden/chicken pens? Something I've thought about doing is to have 2 area's and both with a shed/coop. What I thought about doing is plant my garden in area #1 and keep my chickens in area #2. At the end of the growing season I would transfer the chickens from area #2 and put into area #1. They could eat all the weeds and leftover garden matter they wanted. Then in area #2, where the chickens were, I would make this place to be my next years garden. It should be weed free and fertilized well. Then the very next fall I would switch them all back again. Every year you switch and you should have a weed free garden and well fertilized to grow your veggies.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you have your own straw bales, it would be cheaper to make the shed out of OSB plywood.

7. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

I'm presently helping my kids make a "fort" out of pallets stuffed with straw and plastered with a morter made of clay and sand (about 5 parts sand to 1 part clay). I may mix in some cement powder to make it last longer. We'll see. The roof is tin. If you use haybales, think about protecting them from moisture on the bottom and also protect them from getting splashed with dripping rain water on the sides.
    ray

8. Cheryl in SD

I don't have the bales. I have feelers out for some now. Hoping to have them located before dh gets home from this trip. Question, we know where we can get hay bales for $2.00 each. If we used them for the winter, could we use them for feed next summer? Or is that a bad idea? We have a trailer of lumber that we can use to build the floor and for roof supports and the tin for a roof, just not enough to build the whole thing. Input is helpful! Thanks.

Cheryl

9. Cheryl in SD

What is OSB plywood and how would I insulate it? Just like a house?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

10. Cheryl in SD

I do have space, but the corner where we just moved the garden is one of the only spots that has good soil. Dh did like the idea of using just one shed with a door to let them out during the summer and contain them on the garden in the winter. I think we are going to try that.

Cheryl