Chicken Butchering Class

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fixer1958, Oct 14, 2006.

1. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I was asked something unexpected the other day. My sons girlfriend (Who lives with use now. Very long story. She is a doll and we love her like our own.) asked if I could have her HS cooking class out here to learn how to kill and butcher chickens. I think there are 25 students. I am only prepared to kill and pluck 2 at a time. There will be some faint at heart in the group so I don't know how it would go. Is this a good idea? I'm sure it will be mostly girls to.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sounds pretty neat to me. You can give the faint of heart something else to do, can't you?

3. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

just make sure everyone knows ahead of time what to expect

4. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

These kids need someone that knows what they are doing to teach them.
    They may need that experiance down the road just to survive.
    And I expect you will enjoy it also.

God Bless
    Dennis

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Every child and every parent will need to know what's going to happen. Remember the boy scout ordeal? Otherwise, go for it!

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I hope you will talk to school officials and then proceed to teach this valuable skill. Those that do learn it have the opportunity to save a money throughout their lives. Hit the school officials up for a small amount of money to show the following by purchasing store chicken as well-----

Perhaps in addition to the live butchering you could give an economics lesson by showing how little effort is needed to turn whole store purchased chicken into cut up chicken. To show the advantage perhpaps show $3 worth of cut-up chicken versus $3 of whole chicken, or $3 worth of skinless breast meat vs. $3 worth of legs. Ask if they'd prefer half a breast piece or 20 wings. (example only).

Too bad you can have some of home raised and store bought fried up to let them taste the difference.

7. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

Funny about how things come up. Just a few days ago I helped a gal butcher chickens. What is the funny part, She is in Michigan and I am in Oklahoma. I walked her through the whole process online. If She would have had someone show her this in High School, it would have helped her tremendously. I think teaching High School kids how to do for themselves is a wonderful idea.

8. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I think that would be an awesome class to take part in! Just make sure you have detailed signed permission slips from the kiddies parents.
    IF you have someone to do it, and the equipment necessary, it would be great if you could videotape the class. Perhaps for the fainter of heart to watch at a later date after they pass out.

Nikki

9. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I thought of the permission slips and all. I will let her follow through with her instructor and see just what needs to be done and what the implications may be. The way this particular schools administration mind set is, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get smacked with some kind of animal cruelty charge.

Funny though, the last batch I butchered, she was no where to be found.

10. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

It might be better if they watched it on video before they see it in person (Baby steps) Add the smells after they get past the first stage of seeing and hearing the process on the video? Might give some of them time to get over any squimishness and learn more at the actual event. Also might weed out the ones that can't handle the reality of seeing a chicken butchered and processed to avoid any possible complications.

11. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    I do not know your situation, but I would recommend a permission slip from each child. This way their parents are informed as to what will be taking place.(Sad day that it has come to this) I also think you should "stun" the chicken before removing its head. Simply hold the chicken upside down, hold the hatchet by the head (steel part) and hit the chicken on the back of its head with the handle. This will knock him out just before you dispatch his head in the usual way. The humane society will look a bit more favorable towards you by doing it this way, stunning him first.
    I would do it outside if possible so as not to confine the smells inside of a room. Keep a hose handy and keep everything rinsed off and clean as possible. Be a good husbandryman and take good care of the animals being butchered, be calm , be kind and be swift. Talk to the girls easily and step by step, explaining as you go...it will give you confidence and keep the girls at ease. It is a good thing you are doing, good luck.

12. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

What age are we talking about? Don't let anyone under 18 have any knives or operate power equipment. Buy a box of disposable gloves and stress the importance of handwashing. Please do allow this class to do this but make sure the teacher stresses that this is voluntary. The children who don't want to be there are most likely to cause problems. Taping it is a good idea and a great record of accual occurances. I live in the country in a small county with only one high school. There are still children who are far removed from the reality of the farm.