Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on what breed of chick this is? Just wondering because we were told it was a pheasant, but it doesn't look like pics of any pheasant chicks I have looked at!
(HTML is not on, so I have attached pics below - hope I did it correctly!)

Thanks,
Laurelinn

Attachments

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Looks like a chicken to me. It could be any breed, but I once had some Easter Egger crossbreds that favored that one a lot.

T

·
0 Posts
Not a pheasant. They are very lean. You didn't mention it, but a good measure is flightiness. Pheasants do not settle for anything and they speed around everywhere.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have any more information about it? Where did you get it, is it a bantam, etc.? I don't believe that it is a pheasant. It's coloring reminds me of a buff brahma, but they have feathered legs. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Looks like it might be a silver laced pattern, although there aren't a lot of head markings that they usually have. Is that a rose comb? If so, I'd say it's a Wyandotte. It's certainly no pheasant. If it's tiny, then maybe a Silver Sebright, if people think small chickens are pheasants.

L

·
0 Posts
Not a pheasant. They are very lean. You didn't mention it, but a good measure is flightiness. Pheasants do not settle for anything and they speed around everywhere.
Toffee is right about flightiness. If it were a pheasant it wouldn't be standing there calmly to have it's picture taken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They appear to be growing into chickens! Will take new pics this weekend.
I purchased them at the local feed store. The store recently changed owners, and while the new folks are nice enough and have made some nice changes they don't seem to know much about animals! I think they got the place for a great price and now it's a real learning curve as far as the products they sell - LOL!
Thanks for all the input everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts