Homesteading Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

Registered
And they want to stop hunting dogs too. That's just crazy because my dogs love it. He would go all year of the game warden let him.
This.

A hunting dog is likely to catch a #6 from time to time, but, if you really want to see animal abuse, the kind that would make Sarah McLachlan cry the cuffs of her jeans soaking wet, deny a hunting dog the hunt.

Registered
I do own this thread?
Since you volunteered that question mark there, I鈥檒l take the opportunity to answer the question that probably really wasn鈥檛 meant as one.

No.

You don鈥檛.

You don鈥檛 own this thread anymore than you own a conversation you struck up at the feed store. The folks you鈥檙e talking to have every bit as much right to respond to your comment as you had to make it in the first place.

I鈥檇 gathered that you were fairly young, so I took a more gentle approach than the coarseness I鈥檓 generally known (and loved!) for.

The bottom line is that you saw some animal activist propaganda and bought it, hook, line and sinker. The opinion that took you all of about 30 seconds to assemble was challenged, and it chapped your bottom a little bit.

If you鈥檇 looked into 鈥渢he rest of the story鈥, your opinion might have been different. It might not have been- and that would be OK. But, the difference would have been that, had you actually taken the time to assemble a defensible position, you鈥檇 have been able to defend it. Not everyone here aligns on every topic. By and large, though, our bull**** meters are pretty well-calibrated. You got called on carrying a patty in on your shoe. No big deal.

Don鈥檛 let this scrum run you off. Just put a little more thought into what you bring to the table, and you鈥檒l do fine here.

Oh, and have a period key installed on your keyboard, while you鈥檙e at it, and pay at least a little attention in English class. It doesn鈥檛 have to be perfect, but we prefer to be able to actually read what our friends here are writing. Stream of consciousness died, and was interred in Hunter S. Thompson鈥檚 casket.
Nobody mourns its loss.

Premium Member
I do own this thread?
nope.

Internet forums are a group thing, some version of the Homesteading Today people corporately own this site and its contents. You have some minor control of the messages you wrote, But generally you sign those rights away in the fine print of any Internet forum just by using it.

You do not and never will own the thread. Ever.

unless you start your own internet forum.

this is how these things work.

you throw something out there, and others can throw their something out there. It鈥檚 a community.

the forum owners can set up rules as to what you are allowed to throw out there. This place is pretty good, they want us to just be respectful of each other.

I realize many of us end up looking pretty hostile to you. I don鈥檛 intend that, I want to welcome and work with you and enjoy your views on things.

on this one topic, I think you have been mislead by false news, and I am going to stand by that until you could prove otherwise. You are following evil minded people in sheep鈥檚 clothing......

but, I like critters and enjoy me pets and have enjoyed being in ffa a long time ago and I hope we can chat about things in common some days too.

good luck into the future, keep on keeping on!

Administrator
I have researched a bit about this rodeo but it鈥檚 not always a bad thing at this rodeo honestly it seems fun to go to
Cheyenne is one of the very oldest rodeos in US history. I'm not sure how much reserarch beyond 'fun' you did but it generates a great deal of tourism, employs a lot of people, generates a great deal of revenue for the exhibitors and is sanctioned by the PRCA and subject to all PRCA rules, just like any other professional rodeo.

It has a unique setup for certain events but the livestock are still treated with great care. Having grown up in a rodeo family, I can assure you that there is roughstock that are insured for as much as $2 million and not many take risks with assets of that value. Any stock being used at the big professsional shows are considered elite athletes and are treated accordingly.

Premium Member
Justaffagirl, don't let the comments on this thread run you off the forum. Take them and learn from them and you will be wiser for it. I'm willing to bet that every one of us has been caught on the wrong side of a debate at some point. The internet makes it more public and sometimes seems to make it more personal. You love animals and hate to see them mistreated on purpose. We get that, many (if not all) of us feel the same way. But we also have spent years watching what animal rights organizations are doing to mislead the general public. You fell for some propaganda and shared misinformation. It's not like you committed a crime or threw paint on a person wearing fur. Sure, some comments could be considered a bit harsh. But in life you will deal with all kinds of people and all kinds of attitude. In life there would be people that would make really mean and nasty comments, but that isn't allowed on this forum.

All threads posted on this board are property of the board owners. I'm pretty sure there is a legal disclosure stating that info somewhere in the terms of use. Yes, you started the thread but you don't get to make the rules as to who posts and what they say in response.

Do some research on SHARK and Steve Hindi and Cheyenne rodeo. You'll see the reasons behind some of the negative comments on this thread.

Registered
Recognizing the immense cruelty towards the animals at rodeos is nothing new. The first complaints and protests were started in the 1870s - 150 years ago. So obviously no one cares much and the laws are not changing anywhere. Every year at the Calgary Stampede there are horse deaths from the Chuck Wagon Races. The death total from 1986 to 2019 is102 horses. It is a clear example of the drivers not caring about anything but winning because the horses are not dying during all the training runs the teams are doing at home or during the warm up to the races. And of course there are always calves dying because of shattered spines during the roping contests - either instantly or having to be killed. Just as disgusting as the Roman circuses.

Administrator
Recognizing the immense cruelty towards the animals at rodeos is nothing new. The first complaints and protests were started in the 1870s - 150 years ago. So obviously no one cares much and the laws are not changing anywhere. Every year at the Calgary Stampede there are horse deaths from the Chuck Wagon Races. The death total from 1986 to 2019 is102 horses. It is a clear example of the drivers not caring about anything but winning because the horses are not dying during all the training runs the teams are doing at home or during the warm up to the races. And of course there are always calves dying because of shattered spines during the roping contests - either instantly or having to be killed. Just as disgusting as the Roman circuses.
How do you know that no horses are injured at home or in training? Additionally, if nobody cares, would you like to address the rules for for both wagon racing and rodeo events or are you just regurgitating the message of a special interest group?

I'd also be interested in your thoughts on polo, the horse racing industry, show jumping and you're welcome to provide your insight into the remaining pmu farms.

Administrator
He is regurgitating. I was going to rebut item by item, but typing with one hand.....not worth it. WR took care of it.
If I were going to mind somebody else's business, I would express my dismay at the pelt industry but I don't think it's trendy to discuss the negatives of that particular industry anymore.

Registered
You are passing lies. I proved it and you admitted it by blaming it on others. Why do you come to a blog that is based in great part on people working with animals and spat out this nonsense if your intent is not to get people to read and respond? Play mean games, win mean prizes.
Now if you will excuse me, I have a big person's job and big person's responsibilities. As fun as it has been to slap down your stupid and baseless arguments, I must attend to real life. I suggest you do the same. It will help you to grow up and mature.
Goodness, somebody needs to get over themselves a bit. Does it make you feel like a big person to attack other people??

Registered
If I were going to mind somebody else's business, I would express my dismay at the pelt industry but I don't think it's trendy to discuss the negatives of that particular industry anymore.
That is one of the worst. I abhor animal cruelty, and just from my own admittedly anthropomorphistic perspective, I think the worst form of animal abuse is to raise something in a cage.

A hamster or gerbil in a fish tank? Whatever. That鈥檚 like having a mansion to them. Raising a two-foot long mammal in a couple-square-foot cage, though, seems horrific to me.

For my own likely unpopular peeve: rabbit husbandry. The way most folks do it just seems incredibly cruel to me. Even a more painful death would be preferable to a life in a jail cell leading to a humane death.

Registered
That is one of the worst. I abhor animal cruelty, and just from my own admittedly anthropomorphistic perspective, I think the worst form of animal abuse is to raise something in a cage.

A hamster or gerbil in a fish tank? Whatever. That鈥檚 like having a mansion to them. Raising a two-foot long mammal in a couple-square-foot cage, though, seems horrific to me.

For my own likely unpopular peeve: rabbit husbandry. The way most folks do it just seems incredibly cruel to me. Even a more painful death would be preferable to a life in a jail cell leading to a humane death.
That and a chain on a dog. If you have to chain a dog then give it away to someone who will care and love it.

Registered
That and a chain on a dog. If you have to chain a dog then give it away to someone who will care and love it.
100%.

Chaining a dog is a crime against nature. It doesn鈥檛 matter if it鈥檚 against man鈥檚 law in your location or what you believe about Creation, dog chainers will have to account for that the day after their last day.

Registered
This thread is a showcase of how animal rights works. People who are truly evil manipulate those who are simply misguided into attacking people, animals, and their ways of life. The comments on rabbits or mink in cages are truly ignorant, but made by people who are borderline sentient. Their voices, plus voices of the completely ignorant, and a dollar or two, and a few doctored pictures, a fake video or two, and a closed door bill signing by a government ruler, and whole ways of life for somebody disappears.

Rabbit husbandry, eww it's so horrible. Turn them loose, free the rabbits, oops, Australia did with horrible results. But observe. Rabbits will spend most of their time in an area smaller than a rabbit cage. They will venture out to feed and mate. If you brought food and mates to them, they would probably hang out in the warren, briar patch, or wherever, until their poop piled up too much. If you could put a wire bottom in their rabbit hole, bring food and mates, they wouldn't have to venture out at all. Because venturing out is bad. Males will fight, maybe biting off a testicle, and everything else likes to eat rabbit. Free range some homestead rabbits and watch what happens.

Not to mention that we could replace the entire broiler chicken industry with one that was more efficient, had less disastrous environmental impacts, and provided a more nutritionally appropriate product. But no, we have mouth breathing retards that wouldn't buy commercial rabbit, or farmer's market organic rabbit because "they are raised in jail".

Chain ordinances are a thing for dogs now, and usually in the same pen stroke keeping a livestock guardian dog outside in the snow is illegal. Yeah, I get it, a dog in the city tied to it's dirt spot for it's whole life is a pretty horrific life. But what about sled dogs? What about hunting dogs? I have a dog right here that has to stay in practically a concrete bunker. Want's to hunt, will ruin her teeth on chain link trying to get out of a normal kennel. Would run until she was a complete skeleton if allowed out, crossing roads, rivers, etc. She is perfectly content on a chain, but what would the neighbors say.. So here, get in the fortified bunker cage and wait until we have a full tank of gas and a charged up gps collar. Just like Huskies, yeah we will run twenty miles in a couple days, hang out on your chain until then, oh wait, this guy thousands of miles away thinks it's bad, so never mind. Guess he doesn't need an AR 15, because that completely doesn't affect me in any way, but I don't think he should have one. Dogs that don't require a chain are the real crimes against nature. Or dogs in town.

Omigosh, the pelts. How horrible to keep tunnel dwellers in the lavish conditions required for them to be profitable, and then unleash green clothing upon the world, with it's better insulating qualities and increased durability. Let's mine fossil fuels instead and kill these aquatic life forms with the pollution from our factory, and if any of them are left, we will choke them out with the micro plastic run-off from our discarded puffy coat. Because we certainly don't want to tell this guy whose feels are hurt that if he doesn't like mink ranching that he can simply not buy a ranched mink coat.

Every one of these "pet peeves" is a case study in animal rights. You get on board, push your ideals on other people, help them ram things through, and pat yourself on the back for strengthening the folks that are certain to come for your way of life next. Don't kill any fur babies, which are clearly almost human, and should be afforded the rights of humans. Don't you dare refer to a rabbit as a "clump of cells", even though they are basically a clump of cells, cells that some folks find a good protein source.

Administrator
You can add those who abandon pets to that list too. There are so many available resources for unwanted pets that I find it unacceptable to drop them off at the end of a gravel road with the belief that someone will find them and give them a home before they starve or coyotes kill them.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts