Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
Isn’t a hobby farm where you don’t sell your animals becuase we sell our cows?
Your ability to discuss the subject you present is weak because your research is lacking.

Do you have an opinon on the U of C study regarding rodeo animals? Have you researched other sports involving horses and do you have an opinion on that as well? Race tracks cripple and kill more horses a year than rodeo ever will and polo isn't much better.

I'd love to hear how much time and research you've put into this subject, including research into arena and association rules that cover animal abuse, how many vets must be in attendance lest an animal be injured, the average value of rough stock and regulations regarding their care as well as natural animal behaviors.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I never heard of it, so I read a few articles to see what you were talking about. It seemed like most of the critical pieces were pretty well saturated with emotional platitudes, and even some completely unnecessary social justice plays. One of them actually had this piece of tripe, referring to when a native Hawaiian won in 1908

Most of the advocacy seems to be coming from a PETAesque group called SHARK.

Admittedly, I don’t know enough about it after 15 or 20 minutes reading, but my ignorant assumption would be that cowboy sport is pretty rough, all around, and I’ve come to not take the word of activists (of any flavor) at face value.
Yeah I’m not an activist I just feel bad that one they made a horse buck who was obviously hurt like that’s warning one ! But other than that I’m definitely not a activist cause I don’t care much for what happens at rodeos unless its Ridiculous.
To be clear, I wasn’t referring to you as an activist. I was referring to SHARK; the organization that appeared to be driving most of the negative articles about this particular rodeo in the limited research I did after reading your post.

For what it’s worth, the articles that included the dissenting, pro-rodeo view made some valid points in its favor. For instance, for the last several years, a competitor who pulled down a calf in the manner depicted in your photo would be immediately disqualified. That is just one example, but it’s a point that can be verified (vs the mostly subjective platitudes that SHARK had to offer) that shows that the organizers are actively doing things to mitigate animal injuries.

The photos you provided are the same ones that SHARK seemed to get inserted in the articles they drove, so I’m guessing that you read one or more of their pieces, and arrived at your “rant”, as you called it, in your first post.

Going forward, you’ll find a more rounded basis for your own opinion by intentionally seeking out the other side of the discussion for things you find outraging. It may not change the opinion you form, but it might.

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
To be clear, I wasn’t referring to you as an activist. I was referring to SHARK; the organization that appeared to be driving most of the negative articles about this particular rodeo in the limited research I did after reading your post.

For what it’s worth, the articles that included the dissenting, pro-rodeo view made some valid points in its favor. For instance, for the last several years, a competitor who pulled down a calf in the manner depicted in your photo would be immediately disqualified. That is just one example, but it’s a point that can be verified (vs the mostly subjective platitudes that SHARK had to offer) that shows that the organizers are actively doing things to mitigate animal injuries.

The photos you provided are the same ones that SHARK seemed to get inserted in the articles they drove, so I’m guessing that you read one or more of their pieces, and arrived at your “rant”, as you called it, in your first post.

Going forward, you’ll find a more rounded basis for your own opinion by intentionally seeking out the other side of the discussion for things you find outraging. It may not change the opinion you form, but it might.
SHARK's big upset focuses on a new Disney movie called, Aloha Rodeo, based on a book, which focuses on 3 Hawaiians who travelled to the US in 1908 and is intended to showcase the history and culture of the paniolos.

Rather than celebrate the history and culture of paniolos, some prefer to erase their very existence or use their significant achievements as a platform to spread misinformation to bully and harrass, ranchers and athletes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
SHARK's big upset focuses on a new Disney movie called, Aloha Rodeo, based on a book, which focuses on 3 Hawaiians who travelled to the US in 1908 and is intended to showcase the history and culture of the paniolos.

Rather than celebrate the history and culture of paniolos, some prefer to erase their very existence or use their significant achievements as a platform to spread misinformation to bully and harrass, ranchers and athletes.
See now that’s stupid I’m not so into those shark people it’s just a kids movie

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
See now that’s stupid I’m not so into those shark people it’s just a kids movie
You may not be into SHARK but you used their images and words to help achieve their mission but still refuse to respond to the questions I presented.

Does that mean you aren't interested in facts? If you aren't interested in researching the University of Calgary animal science faculty research on the subject, perhaps you'd be interested in looking up Temple Grandin. She's considered a livestock genius and her thoughts are also backed by fact and science and her work should be read by anyone in the livestock industry.

·
Premium Member
41,397 Posts
I'm too old to deal with excuses and play kids games as well...
Couldn’t help myself.

How old may she be, Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
How old may she be, Charming Billy?
Three times six and four times seven, twenty-eight and eleven
But she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You may not be into SHARK but you used their images and words to help achieve their mission but still refuse to respond to the questions I presented.

Does that mean you aren't interested in facts? If you aren't interested in researching the University of Calgary animal science faculty research on the subject, perhaps you'd be interested in looking up Temple Grandin. She's considered a livestock genius and her thoughts are also backed by fact and science and her work should be read by anyone in the livestock industry.
Yeah pretty interested in the facts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Agreed peta will stop all animals from making anyone money..think greyhound racing is all but done..last track is in wv.

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
I have researched a bit about this rodeo but it’s not always a bad thing at this rodeo honestly it seems fun to go to
The rodeo here last week the roper thought he had broke the calf's foot and he disqualified himself from the match. He removed the rope and waited for the vet. When the vet got there he had only sprained it.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts