Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old rottweiler/shepherd - we think lol. mix dog is chewing on our deck, rocking chair, etc. How can we get this to stop? Any ideas. He is an outside dog and he is not in a fence. We like him, because we got him about 5 months, so we missed all the real bad puppy stage.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Bitter apple!! I have had good success with this. It comes in a spray or paste. I had one dog that chewed on anything it could get its mouth on. I bought a horse size bottle at the feed store. They also make cheyenne pepper pastes that most dogs don't like..most.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Exercise and something to do. Dogs don't exercise themselves even if they are loose out in the yard. Keep him busy and tired and that will reduce the chewing by a lot.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will try the q-tip and the bitter apple. We bought him a thing called a Kong. I think that's how you say it. It is a real hard palstic dog toy with a hole in it to put food, bread, dog biscuit. It's hard to get the food, so they chew on it longer than a regular toy.

I agree about the exercise. If we are in the house during the day, he lays by the back door. It's night when he gets to chew'n!!!!

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
More chew toys, and one of those (I forget what they are called) toys that you stick a treat in and they have to work to get it back out?

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I buy beef bones from our local store. The butcher cuts them for me. That helps ALOT - I have two pups, 1 is 8 months old and the other 9 months old. They still chew up anything that isn't nailed down! The bones do help though. I got them some of the kongs for Christmas and they like them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts