Chevy van question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by bostonlesley, Oct 31, 2006.

1. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I'd like to know just a little bit before I take the van in to a mechanic..

It's a 2003 Chevy Venture Van..never have had any problems at all with it.not one squeek..I get the oil & filter changed like clockwork, and a regular tune up, have the tires rotated, all the "fluids" checked, etc..I NEED to baby this thing since it has my wheelchair lift..

I drove it up and back to St. Louis yesterday..(180 miles total)..just when I pulled into my parking lot, slowed down and tapped the brakes getting ready to park, suddenly the engine just quit..as in "poof"..shut off..no noise, no "sputtering" no nothing, one second it was running, and the next, it was completely shut off..The dashboard showed the battery icon and the oil light as if I had the ignition key on "auxilary"..what the?? So I stopped the van and turned the key "off" and then "on" and the van started right up immediately..no problems at all..

What are some of the things which could cause my van to do this?? Some wire connection??? Please tell me it could be something inexpensive.. :help:

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I had a '89 Ford that used to do that. It turned out to be a bad vacuum hose. That might be your problem, although newer vehicles don't have the snake's nest of vacuum lines under the hood anymore. It coud be the power brake booster losing vacuum and killing the engine. How's your warranty?

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

How does it perform when you start it and drive it? Does the check engine lite come on? Was there anyone under the hood just before you started having problems? Did you just fill up before problems started?

4. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

It was performing perfectly..no "check engine " light comes on, or any other lights.

Nobody was "under the hood"..

hmm, I had filled up the gas tank on Thursday right before I came home, and didn't drive it again until Sunday morning..drove to church which is only 2 miles away, and then back home where it sat until Monday morning. I drove it to St. Louis..highway all the way, doing 60-65MPH..didn't go anywhere else..got off the highway, pulled into my parking lot 1/4 mile away, tapped the brakes and "poof".

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Make sure that your battery terminals are clean and your cable connections are tight.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

It's hard to diagnose hands on and much harder over the net. How many miles and has it had the needed maintenance performed?
    Let's start easy and cheap. Go to an auto parts store and buy a bottle of Chevron techron fuel injector cleaner, follow the instructions and pour into fuel tank. It's good maintenance for fuel injected vehicles and might help your problem if it is gas related.

7. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

It has 52,500 miles on it and has had the suggested maintenance like virtual clockwork..

Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions. :)