Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm a single mom of a teenage daughter and her car is having issues, I need some advice before I take it to a mechanic and he sells me the broklyn bridge.

On Monday she was driving to school and as she stopped at a stop sign it died... 10 minutes later as I was on my way to pick her up, the car started again and she went on to school. It's worked fine since then... until now, again, she stopped at a stop sign and it died.

The battery is about 9 months old, the oil and filter change was less than 500miles ago. When it dies, everything goes.. not even enough juice to roll up the windows.

Any ideas where I should start?

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
The first and easiest thing to do is make sure the battery terminals are clean and the battery cable connections (on both ends of the cable) are tight.

Does the car have an voltage gauge on the dash?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
like cablin fever said, and i would have the ground checked...however it is grounded. sometimes a vehicle will have more than one ground, be it just the negative battery cable attached to the engine or frame, or even another ground attached from the chasis to the engine, etc.

it sounds like something is loose.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
I do! I REALLY DO!!!!

We love our lumina and it has driven and driven and driven but we kept having to recharge AND replace batteries. No matter how many times we took it into the shop they could never find the problem.

We tried EVERYTHING!

Finally, one really nice mechanic, spent TONS of time checking the connections and found where the short was. I believe it was in the door locks, if I remember correctly.

Although the car had automatic door locks, they got messed up somewhere along the way and we just learned to manually lock them.
------------------
As a last resort, we were about to do a fix we learned about here (do a search on my online name and lumina or my online name and battery to find the thread. Basically, it involved putting the battery on a manual switch so that it wasn't running when we weren't driving. This is similar to big equipment that sits around alot. Good luck. It's a great car!!!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! With the help of some neighbor boys I got the car pushed back to our yard, about the time we were heading in the drive way the car decided to start again. First thing tomorrow in the daylight I will see if we can check for loose wires ourselves.. hopefully we can get by until Satuday and then grandpa can help check them before I have to pay a mechanic!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You were exactly correct! This past weekend, my dad came out and checked the battery cables.. they were loose, he tightened them and she hasn't had a problem since!

Thank you so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts