chevy celebrity brake rotor id

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by MELOC, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i need to know a website or resource to identify my 1987 chevy celebrity wagon brake rotors. advance auto parts needs to know jh1 or jh2. i find no info in the manual and i cannot find a website to help via the vin number as the clerk suggested. :grump:

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

that is an RPO Code, there should be a sticker in the car someplace, usually either in the glove box or under the trunk lid, that will have 50 or so 3-digit codes on it. One of those two codes will be listed, that's the one you need.

3. MELOC

i was able to find the code on in the glove box. it was JA2. i misunderstood the clerk. and they are drums not rotors, lol. i am really not mechanically stupid, i just get caught up in the lingo sometimes, lol. :rolleyes:

4. MELOC

oh yeah, thanks.

5. MELOC

if anyone wants to help me lynch the engineers or whoever was responsible for making my celebrity wagon half metric and half standard, just give me a hollar. i decided to rebuild the entire rear brake system and had no idea the brake lines were metric. like i have a size 12 metric tube wrench. :rolleyes:
    (insert the appropriate amount of expletives here)

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Vice Grips and Blaster are your friend!

7. MELOC

so is a brother who is a machinist. :) he finally found the one wrench that he lost...you guessed it. oh the difference a tube wrench makes. i am still cussing about the mixed fasteners and such on this ride. GM...choose a path, lol.

now on to the trouble shooting and classroom chat. cylinders on, shoes adjusted and lines bled. i still have some squish in the pedal. my neighbor used to work in a mopar garage and thinks my power vac is going bad. he suspects a vacuum leak of some sort (or perhaps that is part of the power vac failure). when you hit the pedal there is a change in the rpm of the motor.

ideas and explanations please.