Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we're looking at an '04 Chevy Cavalier, and I can't seem to get a good idea of the reviews on it. So, does anyone have one, or the Pontiac's version, the Sunfire? What kind of mileage does it get? Any experiences you all could pass along?

6,651 Posts
I had a 97 cavalier, and I now have an 03 cavalier. They both have the 4 cyliner engine. Thye both get 30 mpg. I bought the second one, because I liked the first one so much, but this 03 has the power window controls near the shifter in the centrer consol. I HATE THEM THERE!

other that that it is a very good car. the 97 was too.

I want to tell everyone about the 4 cylinder, stick shift Saturn Vue. I love that rig. My wife has one. It has tons of room, and it gets 30 mpg. I am going to get ris of my cavalier and get another vue.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
My daughter had a Cavalier in high school (a '98 I believe) and it was a great, dependable little car. I had a 2000 Sunfire and it was a great, dependable little car. Traded it in last year and never once had to take it in for any type of problem. My daughter's car was the same. Both got good gas mileage (can't remember exactly) and we both loved our cars.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are my heroes!
I found one this morning for a really good price with all of 41,000 miles on it, and the carfax report looks good. Mileage has been my major concern, the way gas is anymore. We simply can't afford $250/month just for back and forth to work, which is what we were doing in our Bonneville. Thirtyish to the gallon would positively spoil me, lol.

Whew... good thing, since DH is stopping at the dealership on the way home and probably will buy it.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
My Sunfire got such good gas mileage that my hubby used it for his hour commute to work and left me his big Yukon. I rarely go anywhere so it worked out fine. He drove the Sunfire for three years two+ hours a day before we traded it in.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I realized something... if it gets thirty to the gallon, highway... we'll use a little over one gallon of gas per day, plus whatever for special trips and such.

My budget just sighed with relief as the load was lifted off it's back. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had a '98 cavalier for the last 9 years. Great car that still gets great gas mileage (~30MPG) even after 170,000 miles. I've never had any major repairs other than a fan motor a couple of times...but one can only expect a little car like that to suffer some sort of reprocussion after bucking so many snow drifts :rolleyes: .
My DH drives 8 miles (one way) to work in a dodge ram and uses more gas in a week than I do when commuting 30 miles (one way) every day. I would seriously consider buying another when this one dies.

Oh, not sure this applies, but I've also never had problems with fitting 2 car seats in the back seat.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a 97 Sunfire, and I love it! That car is my baby. It gets good gas mileage, is relatively easy to work on ourselves, and it's got a nice "cute" factor, which is big with me.

Thing you may have to watch for is the brakes. Once one thing goes, it ALL goes, it would appear. Also, it is not a good snow/ice car.

I hope nothing ever happens to mine. It is my home away from home. :)

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
I had an 85 Oldsmobile Firenza. Which was the Olds version of the Caviliar and the Sunfire. I also worked for both Pontiac and Chevrolet too.

I thought it was a great little car, and fairly good on gas. The only problems I had with mine, and what I saw in other comparable models was that between 40,000 and 60,000 they would blow a headgasket. Of course this was also the mid to late 80's models that did this.
Otherwise it was a fairly decent little car.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I have an '02 Sunfire and it's a great little car. I don't know about child seats, but I can fit a full-size Saanen goat back there! :dance: DH was driving it to work through the winter, when his car died, and using about 2 1/2 tanks a week - but his work is 60 miles one way.

The only "bug" they all seem to have is burning out the oxygen sensor - which means you have the check-engine light on all the time. But at $100 a pop to replace the stupid things - it would have to really improve my fuel economy. :grump:

ETA - as far as driving in the ice and snow, I don't think I've ever been truly "stuck" with it. It's a 5 speed manual transmission, which probably helps.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We bought the car tonight. :D

I am so happy to have transportation again, and reliable transportation, with good mileage and even air conditioning? Be still, my heart! I am so happy, we're able to do so much more now.... and I sat down and compared, and it's actually going to cost us less to insure, make payment, and put gas in this car than it did our '93 Bonneville. :dance: I just can't believe it.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
My wife had a 95 Cav....I begged her not to trade it in (This is before we started dating.

Absolutely wonderful car...only repair was a $14 part, at 82,000 miles.

My best friend has an 01 Cav....excellent car with 165,000!!!!!! He says he is going to buy a Cobalt when this one dies, but he expects to get years of service from the Cav.

Clove

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.