Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 chevy blazer that has been running fine then all of the sudden yesterday..it will not start. It cranks fine but fails to ignite. It sounds as if it is flooded. I had the battery charged and tested and there were no problems. It will not jump. Any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,037 Posts
Do you hear the electric fuel pump when you turn the ignition on? If no- there is your problem. Could be the wiring harness or the pump in the tank. Next step if that is working is to check for spark at the cylinders....problems there could be anything from computer to broken/damaged distributor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks..I will listen for sounds from the fuel pump..one question...what is it suppose to sound like? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,020 Posts
If you can't hear the fuel pump on a Chevy truck you must be partially deaf. It kinda sounds like the windshield washer fluid pump except that the sound is coming out of the fuel tank. You should hear this sound when you turn the key to the "ON" position. You do not have to turn the key all the way to the "START" position. If you do turn the key to START the sound of the starter motor may mask the sound of the fuel pump, so make sure that you just turn the key to "ON."

If you do not hear the fuel pump, here's a trick that might help you get the vehicle running once or twice. Knock on the fuel tank with a hammer while someone else tries to start the engine. The vibration will sometimes rotate the pump motor a fraction...just enough to let the brushes touch a clean spot on the rotor. I know this works, I’ve done it myself, it’s worth a try if you determine the fuel pump is not running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line under the hood, put the end of the fuel line in some fuel proof container, have someone turn the switch on and crank the engine, check for fuel delivery.

If you have fuel (no fuel pump sound points to no fuel coming forward), pull a plug out and have someone crank the engine (after reconnecting the fuel line of course) and check for spark, then get back to us.

I'm not sure on that year if it still had a normal distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires, or if they had gone to individual coils for each plug.

I had a Honda Prelude fail to start on me once, my Dad was convinced it was the fuel pump, went out and bought one, put it in, no luck. It ended up needing distributor cap and rotor.

No spark or no fuel, no run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Hello,

I have a 1996 S-10 p/u (esentially the same thing). I rarely drive it, but it doesn't start unless I give it a shot of starter fluid. Once it's running it runs great. My uncle who's a chevy mechanic says it sounds like the fuel pressure regulator. Perhaps that's your problem as well. Try giving it a shot of starter fluid and see if you can get it started and if it will keep running.

Scotty


Aintlifegrand said:
I have a 96 chevy blazer that has been running fine then all of the sudden yesterday..it will not start. It cranks fine but fails to ignite. It sounds as if it is flooded. I had the battery charged and tested and there were no problems. It will not jump. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I use to own a '94 blazer with the V-6 Vortek. Good engine. There is no need to pull the fuel line. Simply locate the Schreider valve on the fuel rail. It will look like a tire vealve with a twist on cover. Depress the needle in the valve much like you would to let the air out of a tire. Once all pressure has bled off, have someone try to crank the engine. If fuel spurts out, chances are pretty good your fuel pump is working fine. If not verify the fuse is still good and that the relay is working correctly. If this engine is a vortek, then it is CPI (Central Point Injection) and the fuel line enters the engine at the rear of the engine and connects to the spider. We had a similar problem to yours and it turned out that the plastic tubing under the intake plentum cover had ruptured, flooding the engine. GM wanted 700 bucks just for parts, so I went down to NAPA and bought a couple feet of fuel injector hose and fixed it for a buck and a half. Go figure. If you have access to a fuel pressure tester I would reccomend borrowing it. Sometimes the answer is not in how much pressure you have as how fast it bleeds off. Paul. PS, how long since you changed the fuel filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
countrymech said:
I use to own a '94 blazer with the V-6 Vortek. Good engine. There is no need to pull the fuel line. Simply locate the Schreider valve on the fuel rail. It will look like a tire vealve with a twist on cover. Depress the needle in the valve much like you would to let the air out of a tire. Once all pressure has bled off, have someone try to crank the engine. If fuel spurts out, chances are pretty good your fuel pump is working fine. If not verify the fuse is still good and that the relay is working correctly. If this engine is a vortek, then it is CPI (Central Point Injection) and the fuel line enters the engine at the rear of the engine and connects to the spider. We had a similar problem to yours and it turned out that the plastic tubing under the intake plentum cover had ruptured, flooding the engine. GM wanted 700 bucks just for parts, so I went down to NAPA and bought a couple feet of fuel injector hose and fixed it for a buck and a half. Go figure. If you have access to a fuel pressure tester I would reccomend borrowing it. Sometimes the answer is not in how much pressure you have as how fast it bleeds off. Paul. PS, how long since you changed the fuel filter?
Thanks..I have only owned this car for 8 months or so..I haven't changed the fuel filter since I have had it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...I finally had ti towed in and it was the fuel pump...the guy is charging
800.00..is this way out of line? i know the part at oreilly's is 200.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
If this is a model where the fuel pump resides down in the tank, the tank must be drained, removed, then change the pump, then put it all back in...so I would guess thats several hours of labor at whatever the labor rate is there....ask him how many hours of labor he is figuring and what the rate is, then decide if you can do it yourself...its probably not complicated, just a fair bit of work, and be careful you don't blow yourself up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I was planning on 500.00- 600.00 at the most. I figured the part was is 200.00, I was figuring 4 hours labor at 75.00 an hour for 300.00. That will have come to 500.00 The tax and mark up on part accounts for the other 100.00. Well it's done now. Dh just wants his truck back..so there you go. Thanks for everyone's help. It's less about the money and more about finding someone reputable in this town.. I hate feeling like I am getting taken advantage of... :grump:
 

·
Failure is not an option.
Joined
·
2,623 Posts
Hey.

You were ripped off. I did the same procedure on a Blazer at a leisurely pace in 3 hours. Was there an elaborate trailer hitch in the way? Avoid that mechanic in the future.

RF
 

·
agmantoo
Joined
·
10,852 Posts
I think the fee is outrageous. I would have cut the floorboard above the tank before paying that much to get a simple fuel pump replacement. It really bothers me to get ripped off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,977 Posts
No matter how much or how little you pay if a mechanic did it somebody will say you got ripped off.
 

·
None of the Above
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
agmantoo said:
I think the fee is outrageous. I would have cut the floorboard above the tank before paying that much to get a simple fuel pump replacement. It really bothers me to get ripped off!
What would be a fair price if you ran auto repair shop with astronomical overhead and still try to make a living?

Coming home to a tarpaper shack after getting my butt kicked all day never did appeal to me much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,037 Posts
Coming home from Christmas at the in-laws year before last the internal fuel pump just gave up the ghost traveling down an Oklahoma turnpike......Absolute worst time, who has ANY money returning home from Christmas? Absolute worst place, Do you realize how barren an Oklahoma turnpike is at midnight?
Quick trip on the back of a roll back wrecker to a motel within walking distance of the dealership, three hours in the shop.....total bill- Just over $800.00.
Only other time I've dealt with a Chevy fuel pump was pulling the pickup bed and changing the rascal out under the shade tree in the side yard.... 3 hour, total bill $225.00.
Looked at new trucks this spring, asked the dealership if they had ever learned their lesson and gotten away from the high voltage undersized wires on the in tank fuel pump, he said "no, we're still using them. You just have to make sure you ALWAYS fill up at 1/4 tank". Walked out without a second glance. Last GM product I will ever own..............................

David
 

·
agmantoo
Joined
·
10,852 Posts
To replace a fuel pump on a 1997 Blazer at a 6 bay 2 year old shop located in a more affluent area and having a good professional reputation, the fee is $525 here in NC. I do not think the owner nor his employees live in a tar paper shack either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,977 Posts
Let the contest begin!

First off the truck doesn't run so it won't walk to the shop either, must be towed. Owner of shop most likely has lost his shirt and parts of his anatomy isnstalling the cheapest parts supermarket brand in the past so possibly he's installing an AC Delco or Carter brand pump from a reputable distributor that might possibly give him more than a new part and a smart answer if it quits under warranty. Good possibility he's installing new filter and in tank screen also.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top