Chestnuts (maybe??)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pasotami, Oct 2, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I found a chestnut tree that was loaded and they were all over the ground or what I really think are chestnuts..... I picked up a nice size sack full and came home to roast a few.... to my surprise - they were bitter! YUCK! Did I do something wrong? I wonder if these are not the "right type" for eating.... they look right and they are huge! Big huck, some have 2-3 nuts inside... maybe they are not chestnuts - how can I tell?

2. pasotami

Oh my - my google search makes me feel that these are not chestnuts - the burr is not the same - the one I found is smooth, not "hairy" like a chestnut... anyone have any idea what I picked up? :help:

3. MtnGranny

MtnGranny Well-Known Member

Sounds like buckeyes

4. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I always feel sorry for Chet,every xmas, you know,"Chet's nuts roasting on the open fire...................

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Horse chestnuts--blech.

6. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

It's a lesson to us all. Never eat anything unless you are 100% certain of its correct identity. Nature plays many tricks on us, in making edible/non-edible lookalikes. When dealing with Nature, assumptions can be deadly.

Do not confuse true edible chestnuts with the semi-poisonous nuts of the commonly seen ornamental flowering Horse Chestnut tree which fall at the same time in autumn and are of a similar size, shape and colour. True edible chestnuts are readily recognisable from conkers (the nut of the common name for Horse Chestnut) by the point at the top of the nut. Conkers have no point on their flattened smooth tops.

8. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

The spines on an american chestnut husk are so stiff and sharp you are just about required to wear gloves just to pick one up.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

it was most likely a horse chestnut.

penn state is doing a lot of work with american chestnut hybrids. from what i have heard, a few american chestnut stumps still send up shoots but die before they mature.

10. pasotami

I did not realize that a native chestnut was so desirable. Two of my neighbors have very old trees that bear - they do not do anything with them, I wish they were on my land. The tree I found the nuts under was at a rest stop in VA - between the parking area and the highway. I'm for sure if it was a "real" edible chestnut that the state of Va would know that it is there. I wish I would have brought home some leaves, I had one of the burrs with 3 nuts in it but threw it away before I though... I am for sure it was not an edible chestnut now. Just am not sure exactly what I have for it had a smooth looking burr and not what I have seen on the pictures. Thanks for the web links.

11. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

isn't there a west virginia chestnut that closely resembles the american chestnut?

12. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

I just got some chestnuts from a 3/4 American chestnut tree. 1 parent full American, the other 1/2 American. The trees are being worked on by someone nearby and he gave me a little tree too. I don't get what they are doing, but they seem to be getting trees that are more & more American, and they are surviving.

The nuts are GREAT ... but the burrs are NASTY.

cathryn

13. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

I was at the Gardening Expo in Epcot this year and allegedy they have bred a 15/16ths pure American Chestnut. No idea when it will be available to the public, but there was a whole LOT of discussion about it that day between all the master gardeners and the extension officers(correct terminology?).

14. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

There is another kind of chestnut that will grow successfully here - I think it is an Asian chestnut? We ordered one from Stark Brothers last fall and it arrived with one little burr attached!