chest freezer question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by suitcase_sally, Jun 8, 2006.

1. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a small chest freezer (Sears) and I have noticed that the top is quite cold to the touch. Is this normal? Should I insulate the top more? I have some of that foil/bubble wrap insulation (Reflectix) and was thinking of putting some under the lid. Would this harm the freezer? The freezer keeps the food frozen very well. The inside temp is somewhere aroun -10 deg.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I just checked mine,the top is cold to touch.

BooBoo

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    -10 below may mean your setting is too cold, an average temp is around 18 above in most freezers. There is no need to hold such a cold tempature, plus it would use more electricity than necessary.

4. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

To store meat for a year you have to have the freezer down to 0 to 10 below.18 is ok if you are going for short storage but colder if have a beef in it.DO a google on it...See what the big boys say...lot of good info.I just put up 2 beefs..So I read all the info i could before i dropped $4000.00 worth of meat in my new freezer...idontno

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I agree it doesn't need to be above 0, but just raising the temp from -10 to 0 will save you some money on your electric bill. Your freezer has to work hard to keep it down that other 10 degrees.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

It wouldn't hurt to add insulation to the lid, either inside or outside. You probalby don't want to add it around the outside of the box, unless your freezer has coils that are readily visible outside of the box. Many newer freezers and refrigerators have the coils built into the outer skin of the unit's box so you can't add insulation over them.